08 Oct 2018
IDC Malaysia Announces Winners of IDC Digital Transformation Awards (DXa) 2018
CIMB Bank Malaysia Berhad wins 2018 “Digital Transformer of the Year” and six other companies recognized by IDC for excellence and leadership in their digital transformation (DX) efforts
KUALA LUMPUR, October 9th, 2018 – IDC announced today the Malaysia winners of the second IDC Digital Transformation Awards (DXa) at the IDC DX Summit & Awards 2018 Malaysia held in Aloft Hotel Kuala Lumpur. IDC named CIMB Bank Malaysia Berhad as the 2018 “Digital Transformer of the Year”. IDC DXa recognizes organizations that have significantly disrupted the market or have transformed it, using digital and disruptive technologies. Other winners include BOOST TM by Axiata Digital eCode Sdn Bhd, KPJ Healthcare Berhad, Hong Leong Bank Berhad, Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM), Air Asia Group Berhad and Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad recognized as the winners for Digital Disruptor, DX Leader, Omni Experience Innovator, Information Visionary, Operating Model Master and Talent Accelerator, respectively. All winners distinguished themselves for their discernible and measurable excellence in their digital transformation (DX) efforts across the five DX masteries and significant efforts to transform or disrupt the market.
“This year’s winners have proven that all industries are prioritizing digital transformation because they realize the full potential benefits of digital technologies. These technologies enhance the ecosystem of businesses and continue to play a bigger role in the economy of the country. The rapid growth of DX in Malaysia will enable the country to create more capable champions to penetrate the global market. To stay competitive, Malaysian companies must rapidly adapt to the way technology is changing the rules of business and increasing efficiency. Technology is not merely a tool, but an enabler for business leaders,” said Sudev Bangah, Managing Director IDC ASEAN.
“We have seen interesting projects on cognitive computing/AI, Big Data and Analytics, IoT, robotics and robotics process automation being utilized across vertical industries, among others. This signifies that DX has achieved a macroeconomic scale and the local winners have shown that Malaysian enterprises are well positioned to take full advantage of digital transformation. The participation of the local enterprises across all industries clearly indicate that the awareness and adoption of emerging technologies that enable disruptive business models, new revenue streams and operating models are at an impressive rate. It was truly an honor that we identified a number of game-changing DX projects that were institutionalized by various future proof companies across different industries,” added Sudev Bangah.
The winning organizations in Malaysia for the 2018 IDC DX Awards and their outstanding DX initiatives that distinguished them are:
• CIMB Bank Berhad’s CIMB EVA named as Digital Transformer of the Year: Launched in 2016, CIMB's EVA (Enhanced Virtual Assistant) was developed by CIMB's digital team to provide 24/7 access to a growing customer demand for a seamless mobile banking experience. Designed with an intuitive chat-based interface, CIMB EVA is integrated with the most frequently used core banking functionalities such as accounts checking, fund transfer, bills payment, and prepaid mobile reloads, combined with a messaging platform which allows users to receive instant transaction alerts and customized promotion updates. CIMB EVA has also been enhanced with a Spend Analyzer feature in collaboration with FinTech partner Moneythor to provide intelligent recommendations to users and with Active.AI for deep learning-based natural language processing for improved query focus and more meaningful conversations with customers. Real-time data insights enable personalized and customized financial advice based on customer banking portfolio and spending patterns. To date, CIMB EVA has garnered over 212,000 downloads and has processed over 1.4 million transactions.
• BOOST™ by Axiata Digital eCode Sdn Bhd as Digital Disruptor of the Year: By combining lifestyle needs and digital technology, the Boost e-wallet has made transactions easier, faster, and more secure while giving rewarding experiences to its customers. Boost was launched in 2017 and has partnered with 17 banks to support the in-app reload feature for wallets as well as prepaid mobile accounts, regardless of telco network. Each transaction merits rewards for users and Boost also offers digital vouchers for deals and discounts with partner merchants. Boost has also enabled P2P (peer-to-peer) lending, where users can instantly send or request money from other contacts, free-of-charge. To date, Boost has more than 2.5 million registered users with 25,000 touchpoints nationwide including pasar malam (night market) stalls, food trucks and restaurants, online stores, and physical retailers.
• KPJ Healthcare Berhad’s Managing Director and President, Dato’ Amiruddin Abdul Satar named as the DX Leader of The Year: As the President and Managing Director of KPJ Healthcare Berhad, one of Malaysia's private leading healthcare providers, Dato Amiruddin Abdul Satar has played a vital role in leading the adoption of digital technologies in the organization and in the healthcare industry. His earliest projects involved moving the entire Group to adopt KPJ Cloud, which has reached 18 hospitals today, as well as the reengineering and redevelopment of core applications including organization-wide use of Electronic Medical Records and Cloud ERP. His latest initiative is the use of artificial intelligence in cancer research and treatment in five KPJ hospitals, being the first in the country to utilize this technology. By initiating leadership transformation in the Group through training in advanced programs to cater to innovation and transformation, Dato Amiruddin Abdul Satar ensures that KPJ Healthcare Berhad remains a leader in digital adoption in the healthcare industry.
• Hong Leong Bank Berhad’s Predictive Customer Intent CRM System named as Omni-Experience Innovator of the Year: Hong Leong Bank (HLB) omni-experience projects cut across the bank's operations, improving frontline productivity, optimizing cost-to-income ratio, and increasing customer satisfaction (CSAT) scores. Among its initiatives include an AI chat advisor on its website and internet banking platforms which answers general inquiries on HLB products and services to reduce customer contact with call center agents, a robotic concierge designed and built to interact, identify, and match customer requests to HLB products, a real-time feedback system with social media sentiment monitoring, and omni-channel analytics dashboards. Hong Leong Bank's Predictive Customer Intent System has further improved CSAT scores, as it makes use of machine learning to predict a customer's call intention based on recent banking and interaction activities with the bank. It also provides a 360-degree view of customers, displaying contact history, product holdings, recent transactions, and eligible cross or upsell offers. With its omni-channel integration in place, Hong Leong Bank has met and exceeded its internal CSAT targets.
• Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia’s (SSM) MYDATA named as Information Visionary of the Year: Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM), the statutory body in charge of regulating corporate and business affairs in Malaysia, launched MYDATA in 2016 to provide users a single, direct electronic access point to the official company registration offices in Malaysia. SSM's role is to incorporate companies and register businesses and ensure all company and business information are available to the public, and as the leading authority for the improvement of corporate governance in Malaysia, the commission also handles monitoring and enforcement activities to ensure compliance with business registration and corporate legislation. MYDATA is the legitimate and legal source of information on companies and businesses incorporated and registered in the country, providing instant access to accurate business data through a data registry updated in real time. For a minimal fee, users can obtain insights on business financial standings such as paid-up capital, balance sheet, assets and liabilities, share capital, and total revenue. Since its launch in 2016, over 130,000 transactions have been recorded, earning SSM a revenue of RM 34 Million.
• Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad’s Digital Culture Accelerator Programme named as Talent Accelerator of the Year: Astro launched its enterprise-wide Digital Culture Accelerator Programme, which is focused on empowering its talent to respond to the changing technology landscape and customer demand. The Programme's efforts include revamping employer branding identity and recruitment of digital talent, reskilling talent for new ways of working, changing fundamental team structures to deliver trendsetting products and services, and augmenting and growing talent within the broader ecosystem. Key initiatives include experimentations and building Minimum Viable Products (MVPs) as part of the efforts to embed a digital mindset in ideation and project execution and its Certified Innovator Programme (CIP) and Certified Technology Professional (CTP) programme to develop internal capabilities in product and service innovation, software development, artificial intelligence, data analytics, video delivery, ad technologies, and e-commerce, including adoption of Agile and the Service Teams concept. Since the launch of the Digital Culture Accelerator Programme, over 850 staff have completed its CIP programme and teams can now create, share, and collaborate on projects.
• Air Asia Group Berhad’s Security Solution for Online Booking named as Operating Model Master of the Year: Ranked as one of the world's best low-cost airlines, AirAsia offers domestic and international flights to more than 165 destinations in 25 countries, with its online ticketing platform constantly accessed by a wide audience in different geographies around the world. Because of this, the airline's ticketing platform has been exploited by crawlers and botnet attacks, affecting both website and app performance. AirAsia faced malicious activities from bots that occupy free seats, hindering customers from purchasing their tickets and directly compromising airline bookings and revenue. AirAsia thwarted high-level hackers and uncovered complicated hacking patterns then implemented a security solution that utilizes a content delivery network with customized rules applied to a cloud web application firewall. Stricter security checks were introduced, including custom-built captcha solutions, which have successfully blocked botnet attacks that comprised 90% of web traffic. With the cloud-based security solution, AirAsia has enabled improvements in the latency and Round-Trip Time (RTT) of its website, while moving to a content delivery network (CDN) has ensured traffic optimization for access based on user profiles.
IDC’s DX Awards follows a two-phased approach to determine the country and regional winners. Each nomination is evaluated by a local and regional IDC analyst against a standard assessment framework based on IDC’s DX taxonomy. All country winners will qualify for the regional competition, which will be decided by a regional panel of judges comprised of IDC Worldwide analysts, industry thought leaders, and academia.
Winners from all around Asia Pacific will join the Singapore winners at IDC's DX Summit and Digital Transformation Awards (DXa) Gala Night, where the regional winners will be announced for the categories of Digital Transformer of the Year; Digital Disruptor of the Year; DX Leader, Omni-experience Innovator, Talent Accelerator, Information Visionary, and Operating Model Master.
The regional awarding ceremony will happen on the 25th October 2018 at JW Marriott Singapore. For more information on the awards and judging criteria, please visit the IDC DX Awards website HERE .
IDC is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,100 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 50 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.