26 Feb 2021
IDC India Press Note: India Tablet Market Returns to Growth in 2020, Pandemic Driven Demand Fuels the Recovery
February 26, 2020: International Data Corporation (IDC) has released the update for the performance of the tablet market in India during CY 2020 (Jan-Dec) according to data from the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Personal Computing Device Tracker, February 2021 release.
• India tablet market recorded 14.7% YoY growth with shipments totaling 2.8 million units in 2020. It was a year of growth after declining for four consecutive years, mainly aided by the increased utility of tablets to support e-learning demand.
• Consumer shipments reported an exceptional 59.8% growth over 2019. However, commercial shipments declined by 14.3% YoY as few government projects were postponed to 2021.
• The demand remains centralized to the budget segment with US$100<$200 contributing to more than half of total tablet shipments in India. Market above $300 also witnessed an impressive growth of 72.3% YoY, supported by strong shipments of Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and iPad 10.2”.
Lenovo maintained its lead in the Indian tablet market as it observed a 6.6% growth in its shipments over 2019. Lenovo also reported its biggest consumer year with 153% YoY growth in 2020. However, it witnessed a 15.1% decline in its commercial segment.
Samsung is the top gainer this year, their strong control on component supplies helped them to gain a 13-percentage point jump in their market share. Also, it managed to remain at the top spot in the consumer segment with shipments growing 157% over 2019.
Apple replaced iBall for the third position as it witnessed a 13% YoY growth in its shipments. Apple struggled with stock availability throughout the year. However, with their new launches, it was able to gain the crucial segment share in the second half of the year.
iBall dropped to the fourth spot as it saw a 69.9% decline in its shipments from the previous year. The vendor mainly struggled in managing the supplies during the pandemic that forced the vendor to have negative growth in both segments.
Huawei ranked fifth for the full year of 2020 as shipments tripled from the previous year. The online traction with the suitable price points helped the vendor for impressive growth.
For media queries, please contact Jaipal Singh , Associate Research Manager, Client Devices, IDC India at email@example.com . For more information about IDC's tracker products and research services, please contact Shivani Anand at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also follow IDC India’s Twitter and LinkedIn pages for regular updates.
About IDC Tracker
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly Excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights: http://bit.ly/IDCBlog_Subscribe.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Copy the following code into your site
- Worldwide Tablet Market Shares, 1Q21: After Recording Hypergrowth for Most of 2020, the Tablet Market in the New Year Continued to Ride the Wave
- Worldwide Traditional PC Market Shares, 4Q20: Unprecedented Demand Drives PC Market Up 25.7%
- Worldwide Traditional PC Market Shares, 2020: 12.9% Growth, Driven by Remote Work and Distance Learning, Is Highest in a Decade