17 May 2023
Western European HCP Market, 1Q23: Hardcopy Shipments Decreased to 4.1 Million in 1Q23 Compared with 1Q22, Says IDC
LONDON, May 17, 2023 — Western European shipments of hardcopy peripherals declined 4.3% year over year to 4.1 million units in 1Q23, according to research by International Data corporation (IDC). There was improvement in product availability, enabling back-order fulfilment, but in some cases strong sales to distributors in 4Q22 led to a slowdown in shipments from some vendors to the channel in 1Q23. For other vendors, fewer restrictions on factory capabilities enabled them to supply the channel much better than in the previous year and to be more active in the market with promotions.
Overall shipments for 1Q23 in Western Europe declined, but laser devices increased 14.5% in the quarter.
Highlights from the quarter and the year include:
• Inkjet shipments decreased by 11.5% in 1Q23 year over year.
• Color inkjet shipments decreased by 11.8% in 1Q23 year on year; monochrome inkjet increased by 77.2% in 1Q23 year over year, but this accounted for less than 20,000 units.
• Color laser increased by 37.1% in 1Q23 year over year, while monochrome was flat with an increase of only 0.4% in 1Q23 year over year.
• HP maintains overall market leadership, with 38.8%. Epson increased from 20.4% in 1Q22 to 20.7% in 1Q23, while Canon decreased its shipments in 1Q23 year over year, and Brother's share increased in 1Q23 year over year. All participate in high-volume markets.
• The figure below shows the top four brands by unit shipments for the past five quarters.
"Although the overall market declined in 1Q23, color laser increased for most segments except for the low end, below 10ppm devices. IDC expects vendors to focus on higher-speed value-added devices," said Julio Vial, research manager, Western European Data and Analysis Group, IDC.
Main country highlights:
• Germany: Overall shipments increased 15.4% in 1Q23, with both inkjet and color laser segments showing year-on-year increases. The German inkjet market increased by 15.7% in 1Q23 year over year, while the laser segment increased 14.7%.
• France: The HCP market decreased by 10.8% in 1Q23. Inkjet decreased 15.7% in 1Q23, but laser segments grew 7.5%. Despite the overall quarterly decreases, color laser increased by 19.6%.
• The U.K.: Total shipments declined in 1Q23 by 16.0% as inkjet decreased 24.0% year over year, but laser increased 24.6% in 1Q23 year over year. The U.K. was one of the weaker performers in the region.
• Italy: The Italian market increased 4.8% in 1Q23, with the increase in shipments due to laser, which rose 13.0%. Inkjet was flat and increased by 0.3%.
• Spain: HCP market shipments decreased by 5.2% in 1Q23, but laser shipments increased by 15.4% in 1Q23 and inkjet declined by 13.9% in unit shipments in 1Q23 year on year.
• Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, April 2023.
• All quarterly growth rates quoted are year over year (1Q23 versus 1Q22).
• IDC tracks A2–A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
• Hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers and multifunctional systems (MFPs), and laser and inkjet devices. Data is reported for calendar periods.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,300 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights.
Copy the following code into your site
HP Inc., Canon Inc., Seiko Epson Corp., Brother Industries, Ltd.
Multifunction peripherals, Printers
ContactFor more information, contact:
+420 2 2142 3140