Publication date: 06 Oct 2022
GCC Mobile Phone Market Impacted by Slowdown in Demand
Dubai – Newly released data from IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker shows that shipments of mobile phones to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region declined 8.9% quarter on quarter (QoQ) in Q2 2022 to total 5.56 million units. Smartphone shipments were down 8.0% QoQ to 5.03 million units, while feature phone shipments declined 16.9% over the same period to 0.53 million units. In terms of value, the GCC smartphone market was worth $1.83 billion in Q2 2022, a decrease of 11.6% QoQ, while the feature phone market totaled $10.15 million, down 9.1%.
"The channels reported that consumer demand is slowing, and household spending is increasingly being directed toward essentials in the major markets of Saudi Arabia and the UAE, a trend that vendors are trying to counter with price promotions," says Akash Balachandran, a research manager at IDC. "Supply shortages eased in the low-end segment of the market ($100<$200), with shipments of these devices improving in Q2 2022. However, this relative improvement on the supply side was not enough to prevent quarterly declines across all the other price bands."
Saudi Arabia accounted for 51.6% of all smartphones shipped across the GCC in Q2 2022, although shipments to the Kingdom were down 10.8% QoQ in unit terms. The UAE, which is the GCC's second-largest market, accounted for 24.0% of the region's overall smartphone market, with shipments to the country declining 11.4% QoQ. "The Saudi smartphone market endured the twin challenges of increasing re-exports and lower consumer demand in Q2 2022," says Balachandran. "Meanwhile, in the UAE, channels reported that fluctuating prices were a major challenge in Q2 2022, leading to the quarterly decline that was seen in the country's smartphone market."
Samsung led the GCC smartphone market in unit terms in Q2 2022 with 48.4% share, despite seeing its shipments to the region decline 6.3% QoQ. Second-placed Apple, with 16.0% share, saw shipments decline 4.4% QoQ, with consumers awaiting the release of the iPhone 14 series of devices in Q3 2022. Rounding out the top three, Xiaomi accounted for 15.2% of the GCC smartphone market in Q2 2022 but suffered a 6.2% QoQ decline in shipments as it shifted its focus to midrange and high-end devices.
The GCC smartphone market is forecast to grow 6.6% QoQ in Q3 2022. Regional events like the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar will help drive retail footfall in the region, while the release of new Apple devices will help drive overall value growth.
"5G penetration is set to continue to grow as the technology is expanding into lower price bands," says Ramazan Yavuz, a senior research manager at IDC. “5G devices accounted for 33.5% of smartphone shipments in Q2 2022 and the technology is expected to become standard in mid-tier price bands among Android vendors. By the final quarter of 2026, we expect that 5G devices will account for 82.7% of total GCC smartphone shipments."
For more information, please contact Sheila Manek at email@example.com or on +971 4 446 3154.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,300 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology, IT benchmarking and sourcing, and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data, and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights.
IDC in the Middle East, Turkey, and Africa
For the Middle East, Turkey, and Africa region, IDC retains a coordinated network of offices in Riyadh, Nairobi, Lagos, Johannesburg, Cairo, and Istanbul, with a regional center in Dubai. Our coverage couples local insights with international perspectives to provide a comprehensive understanding of markets in these dynamic regions. Our market intelligence services are unparalleled in depth, consistency, scope, and accuracy. IDC Middle East, Africa, and Turkey currently fields over 130 analysts, consultants, and conference associates across the region. To learn more about IDC MEA, please visit www.idc.com/mea. You can follow IDC MEA on Twitter at @IDCMEA.
Copy the following code into your site