31 Aug 2017
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments Continue to Show Modest Growth in the Second Quarter, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., August 31, 2017 – The worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market grew 0.7% year over year with more than 23.3 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2017 (2Q17), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Inkjet and laser unit shipments both expanded in the quarter, growing 2.9% and 1.7% year over year, respectively.
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- HP Inc. remained the top HCP company with 1.3% year-over-year shipment growth. Second-ranked Canon, third-ranked Epson, and fourth-ranked Brother also saw positive year-over-year growth, while fifth-ranked Samsung declined 5.7% year over year.
- Monochrome laser 21-44 ppm devices recorded year-over-year growth of 19.1% in unit shipments. The double-digit expansion was helped by strong performances from the top companies, especially HP Inc. and Canon.
- Brother enjoyed the largest year-over unit gain, increasing 4.6% to more than 1.7 million units shipped. This was largely due to its strong growth within the Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) region where it changed its channel strategy to provide a wider range of products to its office automation channel partners.
- HP Inc. enjoyed 1.3% year-over-year growth in global shipments with a particularly strong performance in Western Europe and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan). HP's growth was propelled by an online promotion event and the expansion of tier-three channels that had allowed it to capture the growth in demand from the significant increase of new businesses in the SMB segment.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2017 (based on unit shipments)
2Q17 Unit Shipments
2Q17 Market Share
2Q16 Unit Shipments
2Q16 Market Share
1. HP Inc
2. Canon Group
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2017
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
This chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic are available by clicking here.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, data and marketing services company that activates and engages the most influential technology buyers. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.