06 Dec 2018
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments Were Down 1.2% in the Third Quarter of 2018, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., December 6, 2018– The worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market declined 1.2% year over year to approximately 25 million units shipped in the third quarter of 2018 (3Q18), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Both inkjet and laser unit shipments experienced a year-over-year decline in the quarter, falling 1.5% and 0.7% respectively.
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- The Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (APeJ) region delivered year-over-year growth in unit shipments for the fifth consecutive quarter, increasing 0.9% in 3Q18. The top three contributors to the region's growth were China, India, and the Philippines. Inkjet growth in the region was largely driven by ink tank printers, which saw a 22.1% increase. This was the first quarter where Ink Tank shipments were greater than Ink Cartridge, making Ink Tank the leading product in the inkjet market for APeJ with 51.1% share.
- Color laser's year-over-year growth of 2.3% was helped by strong performances from 21-30 ppm and 31-44 pm devices. Four of the top 5 companies (in terms of units), including HP Inc., Canon Group, Brother, and Ricoh Group, recorded year-over-year expansion in color laser shipments.
- Canon Group outperformed all the other companies in the top 5 with year-over-year shipment growth of 7.7% to approximately 5.3 million units. The U.S. market was one of the key contributors to the company's results, delivering a 20% increase in inkjet and 41% expansion in the laser market.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q3 2018 (based on unit shipments)
3Q18 Unit Shipments
3Q18 Market Share
3Q17 Unit Shipments
3Q17 Market Share
1. HP Inc
2. Canon Group
5. Kyocera Group
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2018
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, data and marketing services company that activates and engages the most influential technology buyers. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.