11 Dec 2019
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipments Down Slightly in the Third Quarter of 2019, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., December 11, 2019 – The worldwide large format printer market decreased modestly in the third quarter of 2019 (3Q19) with shipments declining by roughly 0.5% compared to the previous quarter, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker.
"While the large format printer market has been soft, there were some surprising areas of growth when we get into the breakdown by technology and region," said Tim Greene, research director, Hardcopy Solutions. "New products and aggressive marketing have driven growth in some technology segments, while application expansion continued to drive investments in UV and textile/soft signage printers."
- Shipments in North America increased more than 4% compared to 2Q19, driven largely by the U.S., which grew 9% quarter over quarter in 3Q19.
- Japan and Central & Eastern Europe (CEE) both saw strong growth in 3Q19. The CEE growth largely offset declining shipments in Western Europe in the quarter while the growth in Japan made up for softer than expected shipments in the rest of the Asia/Pacific region.
There was no movement among the top three large format printer manufacturers in terms of shipment market share with HP, Canon, and Epson all maintaining their positions on a worldwide basis.
- HP Inc. was by far the overall large format printer market leader in 3Q19 with 33.8% of all large format shipments worldwide.
- Canon had 19.4% of the total large format market when its imagePROGRAF, the Oce line of technical printers, and Canon's Arizona and Colorado are combined.
- Epson is the number three large format printer manufacturer worldwide with over 17% of total shipments. Epson is a leader in the low-end of the aqueous inkjet market, in the dye-sublimation segment, and increasingly in the eco-solvent market. In the third quarter, Epson introduced its first "eco-tank" large format printers, which the company says will reduce ink cost by 20%. This will be an important area to watch in 2020 and beyond.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipment and Shipment Value Market Shares, Q3 2019
Shipment Value Share
1. HP Inc.
2. Canon Group
5. New Century
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, December 11, 2019
- Large format eco-solvent inkjet printer shipments were stronger in 3Q19 than at any time in the past two years.
- Large format toner-based printer shipments increased in 3Q19, boosted by new models particularly from KIP.
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
Click here to learn about IDC’s full suite of data products and how you can leverage them to grow your business.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights: http://bit.ly/IDCBlog_Subscribe.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Copy the following code into your site