20 May 2020
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market Declined 7.5% Year Over Year in the First Quarter of 2020, According to IDC
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., May 20, 2020 – Worldwide shipments of hardcopy peripherals (HCP) contracted 7.5% year over year to 21.1 million units in the first quarter of 2020 (1Q20), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. The severe year-over-year drop was due to COVID-19 supply chain disruption as most vendors have their manufacturing plants in China. The brightest spot for the quarter was the year-over-year expansion of color laser multifunction printers (MFPs) in the 21-30 ppm range, which grew 3.0% to approximately 793,000 units shipped.
Notable highlights from the first quarter include:
- Central & Eastern Europe (CEE) and Japan are the two regions with positive year-over-year growth in unit shipments during 1Q20, with CEE growing 1.8% to approximately 1.3 million units and Japan increasing 5.2% to more than 1.1 million units.
- Ink tank devices continue to expand year over year, growing 5.5% to approximately 3.7 million units shipped.
- Brother and Epson outperformed all other companies in the top 5. Brother grew 9.6% year over year to more than 1.8 million units shipped while Epson increased 0.2% to more than 4.3 million units. Both vendors showed year-over-year expansion the US and Latin America as well as Central & Eastern Europe.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q1 2020 (based on unit shipments)
1Q20 Unit Shipments
1Q20 Market Share
1Q19 Unit Shipments
1Q19 Market Share
1. HP Inc.
2. Canon Group
5. Kyocera Group
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 2020
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices whose primary application is document printer in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunction printers (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
Click here to learn about IDC's full suite of data products and how you can leverage them to grow your business.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights: http://bit.ly/IDCBlog_Subscribe.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Copy the following code into your site