30 Nov 2020
IDC Finds Large Format Printer and Industrial Print Markets Rebounding in the Third Quarter of 2020
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., November 30, 2020 – New results from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Industrial Printer Tracker show that all segments of the industrial printer market began to recover from the COVID-19 crisis in the third quarter (3Q20).
"After consecutive quarters of steep declines due to the economic impact from the pandemic, we saw important signs of recovery in the third quarter," said Tim Greene, research director, Hardcopy Solutions at IDC. "The digital printing products included in the Industrial Printer Tracker are playing a role in combatting the pandemic and in creating products that will help global economies get back on track. This includes products that enable on-demand garment production, high-speed inkjet equipment that accelerates time to market for consumer packaged goods, and the creation of social distancing markers for safer retail shopping experiences. These products will be more in demand as companies re-evaluate their supply chains to respond to market demands faster."
Worldwide Market Segment Highlights
- Large format printer shipments grew 53% in 3Q20 compared to the previous quarter
- New direct-to-shape printer shipments increased more than 44% in 3Q20 compared to 2Q20
- Shipments in the direct-to-garment segment increased 22% in 3Q20 compared to 2Q20
- Label & Packaging printer shipments grew more than 34% quarter over quarter in 3Q20
- Industrial Textile printer shipments grew 13% in Q3 compared to the previous quarter
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) showed the strongest signs of recovery in 3Q20 with unit shipments growing 40% compared to 2Q20
- Industrial printer shipments in North America increased 36% in 3Q20 compared to the previous quarter
- Shipments in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) continued the recovery that began in 2Q20 with quarter-over-quarter growth of 24%
- Total industrial printer shipments in Japan grew 28% in 3Q20 compared to 2Q20
Worldwide Industrial Printer Market, Unit Shipment Share, Shipment Value Share, and Sequential Growth, Q3 2020
3Q20 Unit Shipment Share
Unit Shipment Growth, 3Q20/2Q20
3Q20 Shipment Value Share
Shipment Value Growth, 3Q20/2Q20
Direct to Garment
Direct to Shape
Label & Packaging
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Industrial Printer Tracker, November 2020
IDC's expectations for the remainder of 2020 include continued uncertainty about the strength of the market's recovery until a vaccine is widely available and key business areas return to some level of normalcy. However, many industrial printer equipment manufacturers have recently released technology that, under normal circumstances, would excite new printer shipments. IDC still expects higher levels of investment in 2021 and beyond as the future of key segments of the market come into focus.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly Excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
Click here to learn about IDC's full suite of data products and how you can leverage them to grow your business.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights: http://bit.ly/IDCBlog_Subscribe.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Copy the following code into your site
- North America Large Format Printer Market Shares, 2020: Battling Through the COVID-19 Crisis
- Wave 15: The Final Wave Data on COVID-19 Indicates Increasing Pessimism for U.S. 2021 Printer Spending Trends
- What Are the Challenges of Working Remotely That Will Encourage Employees to Return to the Office?