20 May 2021
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripheral Shipments Saw Double-Digit Year-Over-Year Growth in the First Quarter of 2021, According to IDC
NEEDHAM, Mass., May 20, 2021 – The worldwide hardcopy peripherals market expanded for the third quarter in a row in the first quarter of 2021 (1Q21) with shipments growing 19.3% year over year to approximately 25.5 million units. Shipment value also increased during the quarter with year-over-year growth of 10.8% to $10.9 billion as more tenders and contract renewals took place in the office, according to new data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- Year-over-year increases in unit shipments were observed in all nine regional markets with Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan and China) leading the way with 31.0% growth, followed by China (PRC) at 25.4% and Western Europe at 18.9%. Similar to last quarter, the common theme for 1Q21 was growth driven by increased demand for low-end devices.
- Both inkjet and laser markets posted year-over-year shipment growth at 37.0% and 3.6%, respectively. Inkjet vendors continued to record high shipments to meet ongoing demand and fill backlog orders as markets continue to adapt to the new normal.
- HP Inc. outperformed all other companies in the top 5 in terms of year-over-year shipment growth for the third quarter in a row. The vendor posted a year-over-year increase of 36.4% with worldwide shipments of approximately 10.8 million units. HP Inc.'s Instant Ink program is helping to drive sales as it grew its subscriber base to over 9 million users. The vendor is seeing continued demand combined with favorable pricing and inventory replenishment within the consumer space.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q1 2021 (based on unit shipments)
1Q21 Unit Shipments
1Q21 Market Share
1Q20 Unit Shipments
1Q20 Market Share
1. HP Inc.
3. Canon Group
5. Kyocera Group
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 6, 2021
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals.
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly Excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
Click here to learn about IDC's full suite of data products and how you can leverage them to grow your business.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology, IT benchmarking and sourcing, and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data, and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
Copy the following code into your site
- Worldwide and U.S. Device and Print Management Market Shares, 2020: Revenue Down as COVID-19 Closes Offices, Accelerates Digital Transformation
- U.S. and Worldwide Production Color and Monochrome Toner Forecast, 2021–2025
- Epson Bolsters Its Supertank Business Inkjet Lineup with the Addition of the WorkForce ST-C8090