TECH BUYER Oct 2019 - IDC FutureScape - Doc # US44636519

IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Developer and DevOps 2020 Predictions

By:

Al Gillen
Loading
,
Melinda-Carol Ballou
Loading
, Larry Carvalho,
Arnal Dayaratna
Loading
,
Maureen Fleming
Loading
,
Mary Johnston Turner
Loading
,
Chris Zhang
Loading
,
Linus Lai
Loading
,
Jim Mercer
Loading
,
George Mironescu
Loading
,
John O'Brien
Loading
,
Gina Smith, PhD
Loading
,
Jennifer Thomson
Loading
,
Peter Marston
Loading
Table of Contents

IDC FutureScape Figure

Figure: IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Developer and DevOps 2020 Top 10 Predictions

Executive Summary

IDC FutureScape Predictions

Summary of External Drivers

Predictions: Impact on Technology Buyers

Prediction 1: By 2023, 66% of Firms Will Be Beyond Piloting AI/ML as Part of Application Development, with Nearly 10% Optimizing AI/ML Across Development, Design, Quality, Security, and Deployment

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 2: By 2024, 80% of All New Applications Developed Using a Programming Language Will Be Deployed in Containers to Gain the Benefits of Deployment Speed, Application Consistency, and Portability

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 3: The Number of Part-Time Developers Such as Business Analysts, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists Worldwide Will Double From 6.8 Million in 2019 to 13.6 Million in 2025, Reflecting a 12.3% CAGR

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 4: By 2023, the Number of Organizations That Release Code to Production Daily for Select Applications Will Rise to 40% from 3% in 2019

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 5: By 2022, the Acceleration of Legacy App Modernization and Net-New Development Will Lead to 35% of Production Apps Being Cloud Native — Utilizing Microservices, Containers, and Dynamic Orchestration

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 6: By 2022, 50% of DevOps Teams Will Invest in Tools to Focus on Business KPIs (Cost, Revenue, etc.), and Operations Will Play a Larger Role in End-to-End App Performance and Business Impact

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 7: Growing Reliance on Open Source Components in Apps Drives a Sharp Increase in Software Component Analysis Tools and Related Utilities, and the Use Will Grow from a Minority of Organizations to >65% by 2023

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 8: By 2023, 60% of the G2000 Enterprises Will Have Created Their Own Software Ecosystem, While 90% Will Use Publicly Accessible Community Repositories to Access Reusable Code Components

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 9: By 2023, Use of Open Source Software from Public Repositories Used to Build Enterprise Apps Will Double to 40%; the Remaining 60% of Code Is Custom for an Organization's Business Model or Use Case

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Prediction 10: By 2025, Less than 50% of Apps Will Be Fully DevOps Enabled; Enterprises Have Determined That Not All Apps Benefit from Operational Complexity Associated with CI/CD Across Development and Production

Associated Drivers

IT Impact

Guidance

Advice for Technology Buyers

External Drivers: Detail

Skills Gap: Fast-Changing Technology That Opens Up a Substantial Shortage of Technical Expertise, Particularly in Some Regional Areas

Description

Context

Intelligence Everywhere: AI's Opportunity and Implications

Description

Context

Technical Complexity: Today's Rapid Evolution of Software Raising, Not Lowering, Technical Debt

Description

Context

The Future of Work: Agile, Augmented, Borderless, and Reconfigurable

Description

Context

Legacy Obsolescence: Old Systems That Represent Technical Debt and a Drag on Innovation

Description

Context

The Age of Innovation: Driving the Future Enterprise

Description

Context

Accelerated Disruption: Navigating Business Challenges as Volatility Intensifies

Description

Context

Learn More

Content


Related Links