IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker® monitors the worldwide quarterly shipment totals of thin clients and terminal clients. Thin clients are diskless desktop devices that exist only on a network, using a server to download applications and store data. Most traditional thin clients run a local embedded operating system (OS). A growing number of new devices are shipping with no local OS, and we categorize this type of device, often referred to as a "zero client," as a thin client without OS. Thin client devices are often used as part of a client virtualization deployment in companies and institutions of all sizes. Terminal clients are devices without a CPU or an operating system that connect to a PC running a multiuser operating system (such as Microsoft Windows MultiPoint Server 2012).
This tracker provides the total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurements for this tracker are in unit shipments and factory revenue.
- Company and vendor
- Enterprise thin clients: Standalone, mobile, with LCD, and with CRT
- Terminal client devices: Standalone and with LCD
- Channel group: Direct and indirect
- Operating system
- Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan and PRC) (APEJC) (11): Australia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and rest of Asia/Pacific
- Central and Eastern Europe (region only)
- Latin America (2): Brazil, Mexico, and the rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa (region only)
- Western Europe (16): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
This tracker is delivered on a quarterly basis via a web-based interface for online querying and downloads. Deliverables for this tracker are listed below. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative.
- Preliminary data (region only, for top 5 global vendors and "others", and units only)
- Historical data
- Forecast data
Forecasts for this tracker are updated quarterly and include three years of historical data and two years of quarterly forecasts, plus an additional three years of market projections. Forecasts are available at the worldwide, regional, and country levels. Details of the forecasts included in this tracker are provided below.
Core Forecast Coverage
- Thin client forecast by standalone, mobile, with LCD
- Thin client forecast by operating system
- Terminal client forecast
Optional Forecast Add-Ons
- Channel group (direct versus indirect)