IDC Tracker® + Data Products
United States Quarterly Personal Computing Device Tracker
IDC's United States Quarterly Personal Computing Device Tracker® satisfies the growing demand for detailed, timely, and accurate information on the U.S. personal computing device market. This product provides insightful analysis, quarterly market share data, and rolling eight-quarter and five-year forecasts. The core of this product is a comprehensive electronic database detailing changes and trends in the highly competitive personal computing device market. Quarterly updates provide the latest information on the rapidly changing market for time-critical decision making for device and peripheral vendors as well as financial institutions.
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurements for this tracker are in shipments and end-user value.
- Product category: Desktop, notebook, workstation, detachable tablet, and slate tablet
- Product and product detail: All-in-one DT, tower DT, small DT, ultrasmall DT, traditional NB, ultraslim NB, convertible NB, mini-NB, desktop WS, mobile WS, datacenter WS, detachable tablet, and slate tablet
- Screen size band: By inch for notebooks, tablets, and all-in-one DT
- Segments: Consumer, education, government, very large business (1,000+), large business (500–999), medium-sized business (100–499), small business (10–99), and small office (1–9)
- Channel: Direct — Inbound/outbound, Direct — Internet, Direct — Store, Indirect — Dealer/VAR/SI, Indirect — eTailer, Indirect — Retail, Indirect — Telco
- Additional tech splits: Operating system, touch, price band, processor vendor, processor brand, and vendor with more than 30 mid- and top-tier vendor and product brands; and United States–based white-box systems builders
- Quarterly shipments and end-user spending, with historical information from 1994
Optional content add-ons:
- Segment by channel
- U.S. public sector detail
- OS version
- United States
Forecasts for this tracker are updated quarterly and include up to two years of quarterly forecasts and an additional three years of annual market projections. Forecast coverage for this tracker includes:
- Product category: Desktop*, notebook*, detachable tablet, and slate tablet (*workstation is integrated)
- Product: All-in-one DT, traditional DT, traditional NB, ultraslim NB, convertible NB, detachable tablet, and slate tablet
- Channel: Same as above
- Segment: Same as above
Optional forecast add-ons:
- Price band forecast
- Installed base
- Segment by channel forecast
- Screen size and product detail forecast
- Touch forecast
- OS forecast
This tracker is delivered on a quarterly basis via a web-based query tool, or an Excel pivot table for add-on deliverables. Deliverables for this tracker are listed below. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative.
- Preliminary top five vendors data and press release
- Preliminary pivot
- Qualitative analysis
- Historical database
- Forecast database
- The U.S. public sector module breaks the education sector into K–12 and higher education and the government sector into federal and state/local. The data is reported for vendors at the product category, product brand, and processor levels.
- The U.S. quarterly PC segment by channel module analyzes how PC segments perform within channels and assesses channel performance within segments. The data is for vendor and brand and is available two weeks after the database is released.