IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Augmented and Virtual Reality Headset Tracker® provides details on vendors, technology, market opportunity, and trend analysis in the newly created augmented reality and virtual reality device market. The tracker breaks the headset market into two different categories — augmented reality and virtual reality — and provides detailed information concerning these product categories in an easy-to-use web deliverable. IDC's tracker products provide reliable, accurate, and independent market research as a base to create quantitative market analyses and to study historical and future trends.
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurement for this tracker is in unit shipments, end-user value, and ASP.
- Product category: Augmented reality and virtual reality
- Product: Screenless viewer, standalone HMD, and tethered HMD
- Product details: Basic and advanced
- Connectivity: Wired, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi/2G, Wi-Fi/3G, and Wi-Fi/4G
- OS: Windows, Android, and RTOS
- Vendors: 30+
- Price band: $0-700+, with $25 bands
- Segment splits: Government, education, consumer, and five different business sizes
- Channel splits:
- Direct: Inbound/outbound, internet, and store
- Indirect: Retail, telco, etailer, and dealer/VAR/SI
Geographic Scope (additional countries available upon request)
- Asia/Pacific excluding Japan (8): Australia/New Zealand (ANZ), Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and rest of Asia/Pacific.
- Central and Eastern Europe (5): Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, and rest of CEE
- Latin America (2): Brazil, Mexico, and rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- United States
- Western Europe (16): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
This tracker is delivered on a quarterly basis via a web-based interface for online querying and downloads. The following are the deliverables for this tracker. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative.
- Historical data
- Forecast data
Forecasts for this tracker are updated quarterly and include two years of historical data, two years of quarterly forecasts, and an additional three years of annual market projections. Forecasts are available at the worldwide, regional, and country levels. Examples of the forecasts included in this tracker are as follows:
Core Forecast Coverage