IDC's CMO Advisory Service guides marketing and technology leaders as they master the science of marketing in the age of the customer. The digital disruption offers CMOs the opportunity to become revenue drivers and architects of the customer experience. Leaders leverage IDC's deep industry knowledge, powerful quantitative models, peer-tested practices, and personalized guidance to advance their operations. Whether seeking fresh perspectives on core challenges or counsel on emerging developments, IDC offers a trusted source of insight.
Customer experience quality is a competitive advantage. Marketing leaders are flooded with an increasing abundance of digital communication channels and marketing technology options. Never before have marketing executives faced so much opportunity — or as much peril. Will change mean turmoil or transformation for your organization? Here are questions IDC's CMO Advisory Service helps answer:
- How should I organize my team and invest my budget?
- What are leaders doing to better engage with customers?
- How do I develop the most critical modern marketing competencies?
- How can I best use data, intelligence, and insights?
- Benchmarking and Organizational Planning Tools: The Marketing Investment Planner provides benchmarks and KPIs to support budgeting, organizational structure, technology investment, and measurement. A custom benchmark analysis compares your organization with a select target group, providing a comprehensive gap analysis with actionable recommendations.
- Modern Marketing Competency Research and Frameworks: To support your marketing transformation and growth, IDC offers IDC MaturityScape, IDC PeerScape, IDC Perspective, and other models that guide strategy, operations, measurement, technology selection, and performance.
- Buyer Insights and Voice of the Customer: IDC examines the buyers' preferences, attitudes, and behaviors concerning today's marketing and selling practices.
- Peer Networking: The Marketing Leadership Board Meeting meets twice each year to support our clients' efforts in effective transformation and growth. Peer-to-peer calls provide rich discussion on key topics.
- Workshops and Webcasts: Team education via webcasts on trending topics and peer-to-peer "hot topic" calls inspires fresh perspectives.
- There is unlimited inquiry access to practice analysts, ad hoc research from our extensive database, and facilitated member-to-member discussions upon request.
Marketing Investment and Transformational Operations
- Investment planning, marketing-mix planning, operations planning, annual budgeting, digital marketing, marketing technology, marketing operations, and intelligence
- Building competency in accountability, business management, and attribution
- Understanding strategies of disrupters and leaders
Technology Choices for Marketing
- Comprehensive mapping of technology choices for marketing practitioners (75+ categories under analysis)
- Guidance on technology-related practices including data-driven marketing, predictive analytics, and the CMO+CIO relationship
The New Marketing Organization
- Organizational design, staff allocation benchmarks, role definition, talent development, shared services and centers of excellence, organizational alignment and interlock, and change management
- Designing the marketing organization of the future
Delivering the New Customer Experience
- Mapping and responding to the B2B customer decision journey
- Developing transformational marketing competencies: Content marketing, customer intelligence and analytics, integrated digital and social engagement, sales and channel enablement, and loyalty and advocacy
IDC provides marketing-specific consulting capabilities to complement the CMO Advisory Service benefits. Sample engagements include:
Marketing Effectiveness and Organizational Transformation
IDC can assess, benchmark, and score today's marketing organization and transformational capabilities and design a future state structure, a skills checklist, and a prioritized, actionable road map.
IDC can provide seminars, training, and half-day or full-day workshops on a wide range of marketing effectiveness and marketing transformation topics. Workshops include research presentation, discussion, and exercises.
Thought Leadership and Sales Enablement Content
IDC can develop and deliver custom research-based content, such as webcasts, event speeches, and white papers for use in training and for go-to-market campaign offers.
IDC can design and conduct custom research, frameworks, and models to provide insightful answers to your specific business questions. Popular topics include marketing benchmarks, buyer behavior, buyer's journey, and dashboard development.
Research Director, Digital Strategy & Customer Experience
Group Vice President, Executive Advisory Strategies