The client was an established South African provider of communication technology and connectivity solutions engaged in the supply, integration, and support of networking and connectivity solutions to the enterprise market.
The client had previously commissioned an opportunity assessment of the South African connectivity market. However, it had since noted the strong commoditization of basic services, as well as significant price sensitivity among its traditional client base. At the same time, the market environment was becoming more competitive and the regional economic growth prospects were weakening.
As such, the client engaged IDC to conduct an update on the initial opportunity assessment that would take into account new market developments and the emergence of new technologies. As part of its strategic focus, IDC was tasked with identifying potential areas of growth and value to help position the client correctly against its competitors.
Approach & Methodology
- Taking into consideration the client's own product and service set, IDC performed an in-depth analysis of the connectivity solutions ecosystem, including partners, customers, and suppliers.
- IDC engaged with senior executives, marketing heads, and product leads of selected competitors and customers to ascertain their views on the market and their position within it.
- IDC worked with the client to develop a framework for identifying targets and used existing desk data and internal sources to calibrate a market size and forecast model based on the client's service portfolio.
Key Benefits & Outcomes
- IDC developed a holistic view of the South African IoT and connectivity ecosystem, providing the client with factual datapoints on its total addressable market and identifying potential partners to enable future growth.
- Backed by accurate insights into the qualitative and macroeconomic factors that impact growth outlooks, IDC provided the client with forecast growth prospects on which to base its strategic planning objectives and sales performance targets.
- IDC provided the client with an in-depth, on-the-ground assessment of its competitors' strengths and weaknesses, as well as independently validated market data to support sales, product, and service planning.