IDC Qualified Performance Indicator
IDC's Server Decision Suite provides IT buyers and sellers with a common set of metrics to support a myriad of decisions made regarding data center performance, power consumption, density and cost. Of all the metrics, performance is the most difficult to measure when comparing servers of different ages, architectures and brands. Therefore, IDC has added a performance measure to its Server Decision Suite, called the IDC Qualified Performance Indicator (QPI).
IDC's QPI has been developed to support the evolving needs of the server ecosystem - from the IT vendor, through channel partners, to the IT buyer. QPI metrics can be used by your organization to make more informed decisions while saving time and money in the process.
Server Decision Suite Metrics
IDC provides a common measure to four key attributes of a server system. We provide values on over 20,000 individual server configurations spanning 15 years to support system sizing and buying decisions.
Performance ( QPI ) - Scoring is based on an in depth methodology that combines published benchmark results with a study of processor and server architecture
Power - More than nameplate ratings, we derive measured power and heat ratings by specific configuration using vendor power sizing tools
Price - Detailed new system pricing, including list, street and cost, plus fair market value pricing for older systems
Density - Cubic inch and rack unit measures for each configuration
QPI takes available industry benchmarks, plus performance characteristics supplied by system and processor vendors to compute a "unified" performance score for every branded system configuration installed or sold over the past 15 years.
The QPI application is available to QPI clients only..
Solutions for Every Segment of the Industry
IDC delivers its QPI dataset via products and services sold by its IT Advisory and IDC Insights divisions, and data feeds to end user, vendor and partner solutions. Specific uses include the following:
Manage the evolution of your data center and maximize your investments
- Data center consolidation and virtualization decisions/justification
- Internal charge back mechanism for IT consumption
- Data center outsourcing decisions/justification
- Vendor to vendor comparisons for server acquisition decisions
Increase deal size and shorten sales cycles
- Internal derivative works/tools designed to assist the vendor sales organization (sales enablement)
- Outsourcing proposals and associated SLAs
- Vendor to vendor comparisons for server sales scenarios and proposals
- Data center virtualization and consolidation proposal/justification
Enhance value proposition with IT buyer segment
- Enhancement of your existing offering and ultimate value to your customer base
- Ability to extend your current engagement model with IT buyers
- New product to sell/add to your product portfolio
- Association with a leading/well know brand like IDC