The IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail Industry IT Spending Guide examines the retail opportunity from the technology, line-of-business, subindustry, revenue band, and geography perspectives. This comprehensive database, delivered via IDC Customer Insights Query Tool, allows the user to easily extract meaningful information about the retail technology market by viewing data trends and relationships and making data comparisons.
Markets and Technologies Covered
- 10 subindustries: Apparel and accessory stores; automotive dealers and gasoline services stations; building materials, hardware, and garden supply; drug stores; eating and drinking establishments; food stores; general merchandise; home furnishings and equipment stores; miscellaneous retail; and online only, catalog, and mail order
- 7 lines of business: Customer management, enterprise hardware, enterprise software, infrastructure software, store systems, supplier management, and other IT expenditures
- 5 revenue bands: <$100 million, $100 million–499 million, $500 million–999 million, $1 billion–2 billion, and >$2 billion
- 3 technology groups: Hardware, IT services, and software
- 35+ technology categories: Loss prevention systems, network equipment, security appliance, IT consulting, POS software, production planning, order management, and more
- 45+ technologies: IaaS, self-checkout systems, payment/tender systems, systems integration, inventory management, customer analytics, and more
- 4 regions: United States, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and the rest of the world
This spending guide is delivered on a semiannual basis via a web-based interface for online querying and downloads. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative. The following are the deliverables for this spending guide:
- Annual five-year forecasts by region, subindustry, line of business, and revenue band — delivered twice a year
Key Questions Answered
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What is the total worldwide retail technology opportunity?
- Which technologies and customer segments of the retail industry are growing the fastest?
- How do geographical growth rates vary?
- Where should resources be focused to take advantage of maximum market opportunity?
- How does growth vary by retail line of business or by revenue band?