The service addresses environmental, social, and governance (ESG) topics holistically in the context of business sustainability, assessing how business services providers and their ecosystem partners can leverage ESG to help clients drive business outcomes by better understanding the needs of various stakeholders (e.g., investors, regulators, employees, customers, and C-suite) and ESG materiality. The service addresses sustainability strategically through a CEO/CFO lens and is business focused versus technology focused. It helps customers focus on sustainability topics that directly affect the enterprise value and link ESG to corporate performance and offerings that can help clients leverage ESG for that purpose. These topics include environmental issues such as GHG emissions, energy management, and ecological impact; social and human capital issues such as customer privacy, employee health and safety, employee engagement, and diversity and inclusion; and governance and business model issues such as business ethics, management of the legal and regulatory environment, and supply chain management.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Business Services
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Buyer (end-user) needs, maturity, business priorities, and vendor assessments in the context of ESG (worldwide IDC survey)
- ESG business services practices, products/offerings, and ecosystem partnerships
- Buyer profiles and ESG services use cases
- Key players, success factors, risks, and actions for vendors and buyers (end users) of ESG services to consider
- All of these topics will be analyzed across all relevant industries
- Worldwide IDC Survey: End-User Survey on Buyers' Needs for ESG-Related Offerings, ESG Maturity, and Vendor Assessment
- IDC PlanScape/IDC MaturityScape for ESG Services
- ESG Services Taxonomy
- ESG Buyer and Vendor Profiles
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How does IDC define sustainability/ESG, and how can business services firms (e.g., consulting firms) and their ecosystem partners capitalize on it? How does IDC define ESG in the context of sustainable business concepts such as corporate social responsibility (CSR), social impact work, or philanthropy?
- How can ESG standards and frameworks help companies identify material ESG issues and relevant stakeholders to better position their products and services?
- Which business services providers/ecosystem partnerships are best positioned to provide ESG-related products and services?
- What do buyers really need and want in the context of ESG-related products and services across different industries? How mature are they in terms of understanding and applying ESG standards?
- How can business services firms connect ESG to their broader offerings portfolio? What does the competitive landscape look like?
A.T. Kearney Limited, ABeam Consulting Ltd., ADP LLC, AKQA Inc., Accenture plc, Alvarez & Marsal Holdings, LLC., Amazon Web Services Inc., Aon plc, Arthur D. Little Services SAS, Atos SE, Avanade Inc., BDO International Ltd., Bain & Company, Inc., BearingPoint Holding BV, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., Boston Consulting Group Inc., CGI Group Inc., Capgemini Services SAS, Cisco Systems, Inc., Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation, Conduent Inc., DXC Technology Co., Dell Inc., Deloitte LLP, ENGIE Insight Services Inc., EPAM Systems Inc., Ernst & Young Global Limited, Fair Isaac Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, GRANT THORNTON LLP, Genpact Ltd., Google LLC, HCL Technologies Limited, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., IBM, Infosys Limited, KPMG International, Korn/Ferry International, L.E.K. Consulting LLC, Management Consulting Group PLC, McKinsey & Company, Mercer LLC, Microsoft Corporation, NEC Corporation, NTT DATA Corporation, Nomura Research Institute, Ltd., OC&C Strategy Consultants GmbH, Oliver Wyman Group, Oracle Corporation, PA Consulting Group, Inc., Porsche Consulting GmbH, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Publicis Groupe SA, R/GA Media Group, Inc., Roland Berger Holding GmbH, SAP SE, Salesforce.com, Inc., Simon Kucher & Partner Strategy & Marketing Consultants GmbH, Sopra Group SA, T-Systems International GmbH, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Tech Mahindra Limited, The Berkeley Partnership LLP, West Monroe Partners LLC, Wipro Limited, ZS Associates Inc.