The Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Business Services address topics holistically in the context of business sustainability, assessing how business services providers and their ecosystem partners (e.g., software and cloud providers) can leverage ESG to help clients drive business outcomes by better understanding the needs of various stakeholders (e.g., investors, regulators, employees, customers, and C-suite) and align business strategies with purpose and social/environmental impact and ESG materiality. The service addresses sustainability strategically through a CEO/CFO lens and is business focused versus technology focused covering a broad range of services, including business and IT consulting, systems integration (SI), and product engineering services. It helps customers focus on sustainability topics that directly affect the enterprise value and link ESG to corporate performance and offerings that can help clients leverage ESG for that purpose. These topics include environmental issues such as GHG emissions, energy management, and ecological impact; social and human capital issues such as customer privacy, employee health and safety, employee engagement, and diversity and inclusion; and governance and business model issues such as business ethics, management of the legal and regulatory environment, and supply chain management.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Business Services
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Buyer (end-user) needs, maturity levels, business priorities, and vendor perceptions in the context of ESG (through worldwide buyer surveys)
- ESG business services practices, products/offerings, and ecosystem partnerships
- Buyer profiles and ESG services use cases
- Key players, success factors, risks, and actions for vendors and buyers (end users) of ESG services to consider
- All of these topics will be analyzed across macro regions and all relevant industries
- Quantification of the business services opportunity around sustainability
- Worldwide IDC Survey: End-User Survey on Buyers' Needs for Sustainability-Related Offerings, Maturity Levels, and Vendor Perception (Services and Digital Tools)
- IDC DecisionScapes for Sustainability Services
- ESG Buyer and Vendor Profiles
- IDC Survey Spotlights and Market Presentations on Key Topics and Trends, Including Thematic Insights Series on Climate and Water, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and Governance and Ethics
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How does IDC define sustainability/ESG, and how can business services firms (e.g., consulting firms) and their ecosystem partners capitalize on it?
- How do services firms help organizations link different elements of sustainability such as purpose, materiality, and philanthropy?
- How can ESG standards and frameworks help companies identify material ESG issues and relevant stakeholders to better position their products and services?Which business services providers/ecosystem partnerships are best positioned to provide ESG-related products and services?
- How can business services firms connect ESG to their broader offerings portfolio? What does the competitive landscape look like?
- What is the market size for sustainability-related services and solutions and how do buyers prioritize their spending?
A.T. Kearney Limited, Amazon Web Services Inc., Atos SE, Avanade Inc., BDO International Ltd., Bain & Company, Inc., BearingPoint Holding BV, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., Boston Consulting Group Inc., CGI Group Inc., Capgemini Services SAS, Cisco Systems Inc., Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation, Conduent Inc., DXC Technology Co., Dell Technologies Inc., Deloitte LLP, Ernst & Young Global Limited, FTI Consulting, Inc., Fair Isaac Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, Genpact Ltd., Google LLC, Grant Thornton International Ltd., IBM, Infosys Limited, KPMG International, Korn/Ferry International, L.E.K. Consulting LLC, McKinsey & Company, Mercer LLC, Microsoft Corporation, NTT DATA Corporation, Oliver Wyman Group, Oracle Corporation, PA Consulting Group, Inc., Porsche Consulting GmbH, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Publicis Groupe SA, Qualtrics, LLC, Roland Berger Holding GmbH, SAP SE, Salesforce.com, Inc., ServiceNow, Inc., T-Systems International GmbH, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Tech Mahindra Limited, West Monroe Partners LLC, Wipro Limited, Workday, Inc., ZS Associates Inc.