As day-to-day life and business go digital, so the role of the telco is changing. This change affects their internal business (how they operate their networks and deploy IT, how they innovate), but also how they develop and sell new services, engage with and support customers, and how they position themselves within complex ecosystems to address emerging opportunities across both consumer and enterprise markets. European Telco 2025: Services Transformation presents IDC's insights into how fixed and mobile operators can evolve their strategy and their service portfolios to thrive in a digital future. To do this, it examines how telcos will employ emerging technologies (such as 5G, edge computing, AI, smart home, and next-gen security) and innovative business models in their search for future revenue growth engines.
European Telco 2025: Services Transformation
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Transformation and evolution of telco service offerings across consumer and enterprise markets
- Service opportunities inside and outside the digital home: digital TV, video, multiscreen, FMC
- Telco opportunities in data, analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), and security
- The expansion of telcos' role into banking and payments
- Telco roles and partnerships within enterprise cloud environments: multicloud platforms, cloud connectivity
- Evolution of telco communications services in the OTT era
- Opportunities enabled by emerging technologies: edge, 5G, blockchain, quantum, artificial intelligence (AI)
- Major trends in service pricing, bundling, and marketing
- The changing role of regulation on telcos' strategies and services
- Telco data monetization
- 5G deployments
- Telco customer experience
- Telco opportunities in AI and machine learning
- Mobile banking and finance
- Next-gen telco security
- Industry use cases e.g. connected car
- Mobile services forecast
- Telco digital transformation
- Telco multicloud and cloud connectivity
- Impact on telcos of emerging technologies
- Edge/fog computing and the services telcos offer
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- Which emerging technologies and business models do telcos need to address and how?
- What will be the telco revenue growth engines of the future?
- How should telcos engage with customers?
- Where are the opportunities and the competitive threats in consumer and enterprise markets?
- How will changing consumer and business behaviour affect what telcos sell and how?
- What are the long-term scenarios and possibilities for telcos in Europe?
- What will be the impact of trends in regulation and industry structure?
AT&T Inc., Altice N.V., Apple Inc., BOUYGUES S.A., BT Group plc, Cisco Systems, Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, EIR Inc., Ericsson, Facebook, Inc., Google Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., KPN, Liberty Global PLC, MEO S.A., Microsoft Corporation, Más Móvil Telecom 3.0, S.A., Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Nokia Corporation, Orange S.A., Proximus PLC, SFR S.A., Salt, Samsung, Sunrise Communications Ltd, Swisscom Ltd., TDC A/S, TIM AG, Tata Communications Limited, Tele2 AB, Telefónica S.A., Telekom Austria Aktiengesellschaft, Telenor ASA, Telia Company AB, Three Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc., Virgin Media Inc., Vodafone Group Plc, Ziggo B.V.