IDC's Datacenter Networks service combines a strategic view of emerging datacenter-networking requirements with extensive analysis of the network hardware and software infrastructure within enterprise and service-provider datacenters needed to meet customer demands for an agile IT infrastructure. This service provides a comprehensive view of the key technical and business issues driving network migrations in private and public cloud datacenters and the remote branch.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Datacenter network infrastructure
- Software-defined networking (SDN) and network virtualization
- Evolution of virtualized network services
- Application delivery networking (e.g., ADCs/L4–7 switching, ADCaaS, and WAN optimization)
- Integrated systems and converged infrastructures
- Key server, storage, and network partnerships
- Network spending in the datacenter
- Shifting datacenter network topologies
- Impact of cloud computing on datacenter-networking architecture
- Profiles of datacenter networking companies
- Migration to datacenter network fabrics
- Network services for virtualized and cloud datacenters
- Big Data networking requirements
- Adoption of server, storage, and network interconnects in the datacenter (e.g., Fibre Channel, FCoE, 10GbE, and InfiniBand)
- Adoption of network disaggregation in the cloud and enterprises
- Growth of ODM/white-box switching
- Evolution of open-source networking technologies
- Networking opportunities and challenges related to containers and microservices
- Software-defined WAN (SD-WAN) markets and technologies
- Ramifications of public cloud on datacenter networking
- Datacenter Network Forecast and Analysis
- Application Delivery Forecast and Analysis
- Datacenter Network Infrastructure Spending
- Datacenter Networking: Hardware and Software
- SDN Forecast and Analysis
- End-User Studies Related to Deployment of Datacenter-Networking Products and Technologies
- Datacenter Networks Customer Requirements
- Datacenter Switching
- SD-WAN Forecast and Analysis
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the greatest growth opportunities for network infrastructure vendors in private and public cloud datacenters?
- How will emerging converged infrastructures influence network infrastructure requirements?
- What are the key drivers of customer migration to 10, 40, and 25/50/100 gigabit Ethernet within the datacenter?
- How will public cloud affect the overall datacenter-network landscape, including vendors providing switches, application-delivery technologies, and SD-WAN products and services?
- How will software-defined networking enable a virtualized datacenter supporting thousands of VMs and virtual network connections?
- What will drive the next wave of growth in the software-defined WAN?
- How will the network evolve to support delivery of applications based on containers and microservices?
- How disruptive will network disaggregation be in the broader datacenter networking marketplace?
A10 Networks, Inc.,
Akamai Technologies, Inc.,
Arista Networks, Inc.,
Array Networks, Inc.,
Avi Networks, Inc.,
Big Switch Networks, Inc.,
Brocade Communications Systems,
Cisco Systems, Inc.,
Citrix Systems, Inc.,
Cumulus Networks, Inc.,
Extreme Networks, Inc.,
F5 Networks, Inc.,
H3C Technologies Co.,
Hewlett Packard Enterprise,
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.,
Ipanema Technologies S.A.,
Ixia Communications K.K.,
Juniper Networks, Inc.,
KEMP Technologies, Inc.,
Level 3 Communications,
Mellanox Technologies, Ltd.,
Pluribus Networks, Inc.,
Red Hat, Inc.,
Riverbed Technology, Inc.,
Silver Peak Systems, Inc. ,
Spirent Communications plc,
VeloCloud Networks, Inc.,
Verizon Communications, Inc.,