The advent of 5G is upon us, and it will have a profound impact across the mobility and ICT ecosystems over the next 10 years. The 5G technology will provide faster, lower-latency access but will also have a dramatic effect on the number of devices that can connect to a network. As its impact grows, we will witness the evolution of mobility services, content, and devices as they leverage this new technology. The challenge will be finding ways to monetize this next generation of connectivity access. IDC's 5G Monetization and Adoption Strategies examines the ecosystem implications to device manufacturers, software vendors, content providers, industry verticals, and mobile operators as well as the services that can be delivered to consumers and businesses.
5G Monetization and Adoption Strategies
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Mobile device, endpoint, content, and services transformation
- Content, applications, and services enabled by 5G
- Device implications
- Regional adoption of 5G
- 5G impact on the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Emerging, innovative vendors launching 5G products/services
- Challenges and opportunities of 5G adoption
- Timing the commercial availability of 5G technologies
- Worldwide 5G Subscriber Forecast, 2017–2021
- IoT and 5G: The Next Generation of Connected Things
- 5G Content Strategies for Operators
- Enterprise Use Cases in 5G
- 5G Device Evolution
- IDC Innovators in 5G
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How many 5G endpoints (people and "things") will be connected?
- Which companies are creating innovative software, services, and solutions for 5G?
- Will 5G fundamentally change the device and content services landscape?
- How should I understand 5G's component parts, how they are different from (or the same as) 4G, and when they will be available?
- What new business models and public-private partnerships will emerge around 5G?
- Will 5G fundamentally change the IoT landscape?
- Where will economic value be generated and captured with 5G networks and services?
- What are the regional differences in 5G use cases?
- Is the promise of 5G a myth or reality?
AT&T Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., American Tower Corp., Apple Inc., Aricent Group, BCE Inc., BT Group plc, China Mobile Limited, China Unicom Limited, Cisco Systems, Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, Ericsson, Facebook, Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Google Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Intel Corporation, KDDI Corporation, NTT DoCoMo, Inc., Nokia Corporation, Orange S.A., QUALCOMM Inc., Rogers Communications Inc., Rohde & Schwarz GmbH & Co. Kommanditgesellschaft, SK Telecom Co., Ltd., Samsung, Sprint Corporation, TELUS Corporation, Tata Group, Telefonica S.A., Telenor ASA, Telstra Corporation Limited, Verizon Communications, Inc., Vodafone Group Plc, ZTE Corporation