26 May 2023
Global Electronic Vehicle Market Almost Reached 11M Units in 2022, IDC Finds
Top 3 players worldwide occupy over 36% of the electronic vehicles (EV) market in 2022.
BEIJING, CHINA, May 26, 2023 – In a recent report from IDC’s Worldwide Semiconductor Automotive Ecosystem and Supply Chain, IDC provides an illustrative overview of the current industry dynamics and competition landscape of the global Electronic Vehicles (EV) market. With the trend of electrification, connection, autonomous driving, and sharing in the automobile industry, we see the EV market growing fast. In 2022, the worldwide EV market reached almost 11M units, with a penetration rate of 14%. Driven by improved supply, high oil prices, government subsidies, and price-guaranteed promotions by car companies, China’s electronic vehicle market reached almost 7M units with a penetration rate of 31.3% in 2022.
“Top performers have bigger market share,” says Adela Guo, Research Director, Automotive Semiconductor Research, IDC Asia Pacific.
The top 3 players worldwide, BYD, Tesla, and SAIC-GM Wuling, occupy 36.11% of the market in 2022. While in China the top 3 players, BYD, SAIC, and Tesla occupy 53% of the market in 2022. In the China EV market, the top 10 players are dominated by local brands except for Tesla in the third position with a market share of 10.3% in 2022.
IDC’s Advice for OEMs:
- Target market: Continue investments in the most valuable markets, China, Europe, and North America which are competitive and valuable markets. Some developing countries also have potential such as Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, etc.
- Cooperate positioning: Automobile enterprises should start from their goals and positioning, then choose the right development path. Leading companies are positioned as energy companies or technology companies, which are bigger than automotive, while maximizing synergies between different business portfolios.
- Technology strategy: OEMs need to choose the most suitable technological route, such as low cost, time to market and superior product. Increase investment in research and development to enhance their research and development capabilities, especially for software.
- Supply chain strategy: To create a high tenacity supply chain, automotive companies need to consider changing their original pure outsourcing strategy and more actively arranging upstream core components from a strategic perspective, such as investment, cooperation, self-development to enhance the control and discourse power of the industrial chain. At the same time, build a more digital and intelligent supply chain management system to increase resilience and agility.
- Talent strategy: OEMs should start as early as possible to discover their talent shortages, especially for internet and communication functions, enlarge their talent pool, try to attract global talent, at the same time, build health and attractive systems to attract top talent and maintain employee satisfaction.
“The industry transition will be fast, both opportunities and challenges exist. Only by establishing advantage in advance, can the players get ahead of their competitors and win the final victory,” ends Guo.
For more information on this IDC Market Perspective, please contact Adela Guo at firstname.lastname@example.org. For media inquiries, please contact Angel Wu at email@example.com or Miguel Carreon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,300 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading tech media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDCAP and LinkedIn. Subscribe to the IDC Blog for industry news and insights.
Copy the following code into your site
SAIC-GM-WULING AUTO CO LTD, Tesla Motors Inc., BYD Company Limited
ContactFor more information, contact: