The Gaming and eSports service advises video game development studios, publishers, distributors, retailers, hardware system and peripheral manufacturers, and related platform providers, brands, and advertisers on critical video game industry events and trends from a global and regional perspective. Identifying and analyzing the most popular and lucrative platforms, services, game genres, franchises, and gamer types, as well as key industry weaknesses and challenges, are the touchstones of this IDC service.
Gaming and eSports
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Home video game console bundle shipments, installed bases, disc/card game shipments, and monthly gamer bases
- Casual, enthusiast, and hardcore gamer-type numbers and differences by region and platform
- Digital game, DLC/add-on and F2P and revenue trends
- Console and PC gaming accessory sales trends
- Smartphone and tablet monthly gamers and spending by OS/platform
- Leading digital PC game publisher and distributor business model trends and dynamics
- Key gaming metrics in North America, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and rest of the world, by platform
- Video game development tool and engine analysis
- Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) gaming hardware and game/app software trends
- eSports-related viewership bases, revenue dynamics, and game publisher trends and segmentation
- Cloud-streamed gaming service provider and underlying hardware assessments
- Analysis of important industry events and conferences
- Home Video Game Console Hardware and Software Forecast and Market Shares by OEM
- Digital PC Gaming Forecast
- Consumer Technology Predictions and IDC FutureScapes
- U.S. and Global Gamer Demographics and Genre Preference Surveys
- PC/Mac System Shipments and Installed Bases by Gamer Type
- Smartphone, Tablet, and Handheld Game Console Spending Forecast
- Mobile In-Game Advertising Trends
- eSports Opportunities and Threats
- Actionable Takeaways from E3 and GDC
- U.S. PC and Console Gaming Accessory Buyer Surveys
- Top Game Publisher Assessment by Platform
- Cloud-Streamed Gaming Technology and Customer Demand Analysis
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- Which companies and business models will drive the most revenue through 2024?
- How are the F2P and subscription-based business models impacting the market?
- Which platforms are growing the fastest from an installed base, gamer, and revenue perspective?
- Are esports-oriented and online multiplayer games changing how games are made, marketed, and monetized?
- Which PC and console OEMs are leading the market from the vantage point of regular gaming use, and why?
- How will next-generation console hardware affect the market and open up additional revenue streams?
- What's the opportunity for VR and AR platforms and games and related entertainment software through 2024?
- Is Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Tencent, Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Valve, Facebook, or some other company best positioned for revenue growth in the next year?
- Which publishers are positioned to outperform 2019, and which franchises are most likely to top the sales/revenue charts?
- What will be the long-term impact of cloud-streamed gaming?
AT&T Inc., Activision Blizzard, Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Akamai Technologies, Inc., Alibaba Group Holding Limited, Alienware Corp., Amazon Web Services Inc., Amazon.com Inc., App Annie Inc., AppLovin Corporation, Apple Inc., BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., Bungie LLC, CORSAIR S.A., Capcom Co. Ltd., Dell Inc., Dolby Laboratories Inc., ESL Incorporated, Electronic Arts Inc., Epic Games, Inc., Facebook, Inc., Focus Home Interactive SA, GameStop Corp., Gameloft SE, Garena Interactive Holding Limited, Glu Mobile Inc., Google LLC, HP Inc., HTC Corporation, Harmonix Corp., IBM, Infinity Ward, Inc., Intel Corporation, Konami Corp., Lenovo Group Limited, Logitech International SA, Microsoft Corporation, NCsoft Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, NetEase.com, Inc., Nexon Co. Ltd., Niantic Inc., Nintendo Co., Ltd., Oculus VR, LLC, PUBG Corp., Qualcomm Inc., Razer Inc., Riot Games Inc., Roblox Corporation, Samsung, Seagate Technology LLC, Sega Sammy Holdings Inc., Sony Corporation, Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd., Take Two Interactive Benelux B.V., Tencent Holdings Limited, Toshiba Corporation, Turtle Beach Corp., Twitch Interactive Inc., Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., Unity Technologies, Inc., Valve Corp., Verizon Communications, Inc., Voodoo Productions, S.L., Wargaming Group Ltd., Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., Zynga, Inc., mixi, Inc.