The Gaming service advises video game development studios, publishers, distributors, retailers, hardware system and peripheral manufacturers, and related brands and advertisers about the video game industry from global and regional perspectives. Identifying and analyzing the most popular or lucrative platforms, services, game genres, franchises, and gamer types, as well as major industry pitfalls, are the touchstones of this IDC service.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Home video game console bundle shipments, installed bases, disc/card game shipments, and gamer bases
- Casual, enthusiastic, and hardcore gamer-type differences by region and platform
- Digital game and DLC/add-on download and revenue trends
- Gaming-related peripheral and accessory sales
- Smartphone and tablet gamers and revenue by OS/platform
- Leading digital PC gaming distributors, business models, and publishers
- Key industry metric tracking in North America, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and rest of the world, by platform
- Video game development tool and engine analysis
- Virtual reality and augmented reality (VR and AR) gaming hardware and game/app software trends
- eSports-related market tracking
- Cloud gaming and microconsole coverage
- Subscription model analysis
- Assessment of important industry events and conferences
- Home Video Game Console Hardware and Software Forecast and Market Shares by OEM
- Digital PC Gaming Forecast
- Consumer Technology Predictions and IDC FutureScapes
- U.S. and Global Gamer Demographics and Genre Preference Survey
- PC/Mac System Shipments and Installed Bases as They Relate to Gaming (and AR/VR)
- Smartphone, Tablet, and Handheld Game Console Spending Forecast
- Advertising and Sponsorship Trends
- Security and Malware Update
- Actionable Takeaways from E3 and GDC
- PC/Console Gaming Peripheral Buying Trends Update
- Key Game Publishers by Platform
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- Which companies and business models will drive the most revenue through 2021?
- How has the rise of the free-to-play and IAP business model impacted the market?
- Which platforms are growing the fastest from an installed base, gamer, and revenue perspective?
- Are esports-related and online multiplayer games in general changing how games are made, marketed, and monetized?
- Which PC OEMs are leading the market from the vantage point of regular gaming use and why?
- Which console OEM is best positioned for growth through 2021, and what share of game revenue will be digital by that point?
- What's the opportunity for VR and AR platforms and games and related entertainment software?
- Is Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Tencent, Activision-Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Valve, Facebook, or some other company best positioned for revenue growth moving forward?
- Which publishers are positioned to outperform 2019, and which of franchises are most likely to top the sales charts?
AT&T Inc., Activision Blizzard, Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Akamai Technologies, Inc., Amazon.com Inc., App Annie Inc., Apple Inc., Bungie LLC, CCP hf., Capcom Co. Ltd., Comcast Corporation, Dell Inc., Dolby Laboratories Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., Epic Games, Inc., Facebook, Inc., GameStop Corp., Gameloft SE, Glu Mobile Inc., Google Inc., GungHo Online Entertainment America, Inc., HP Inc., HTC Corporation, Harmonix Corp., IBM, Infinity Ward, Inc., Intel Corporation, Kabam Inc., Konami Corp., Lenovo Group Limited, Logitech international S.A., Mad Catz Interactive, Inc., Microsoft Corporation, NCsoft Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Nexon Co. Ltd., Nintendo Co., Ltd., Plantronics Inc., QUALCOMM Inc., Razer Inc., Samsung, Seagate Technology LLC, Sega Sammy Holdings Inc., Skullcandy Inc., Sony Corporation, Square Enix Co. Ltd., Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., Telltale Games, Tencent Holdings Limited, The Codemasters Software Company Ltd., The Walt Disney Company, Toshiba Corporation, Turtle Beach Corp., Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., Unity Technologies, Inc., Valve Corp., Verizon Communications, Inc., Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., Wargaming Group Ltd., Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., WildTangent Inc., Yahoo! Inc., Zynga, Inc.