The Gaming and eSports service advises video game development studios, publishers, distributors, retailers, hardware system and peripheral manufacturers, and related brands and advertisers about the video game industry from a global and regional perspective. Identifying and analyzing the most popular or lucrative platforms, services, game genres, franchises, and gamer types as well as major industry pitfalls are the touchstones of this IDC service.
Gaming and eSports
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Home video game console bundle shipments, installed bases, disc/card game shipments, and monthly gamer bases
- Casual, enthusiast, and hardcore gamer-type differences by region and platform
- Digital game and DLC/add-on download and revenue trends
- Console and PC gaming–related peripheral and accessory sales
- Smartphone and tablet monthly gamers and spending by OS/platform
- Leading digital PC game publisher and distributor business model trends and dynamics
- Key metrics tracking in North America, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and rest of the world, by platform
- Video game development tool and engine analysis
- Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) gaming hardware and game/app software trends
- eSports-related viewership bases, revenue dynamics, and game publisher segmentation
- Cloud-streamed gaming service provider and underlying hardware assessment
- Assessment of important industry events and conferences
- Home Video Game Console Hardware and Software Forecast and Market Shares by OEM
- Digital PC Gaming Forecast
- Consumer Technology Predictions and IDC FutureScapes
- U.S. and Global Gamer Demographics and Genre Preference Survey
- PC/Mac System Shipments and Installed Bases Used by Gamers
- Smartphone, Tablet, and Handheld Game Console Spending Forecast
- Mobile In-Game Advertising Trends
- eSports Opportunity and Threat Assessments
- Actionable Takeaways from E3 and GDC
- U.S. PC and Console Gaming Peripheral Buyer Survey Trends
- Leading Game Publishers by Platform
- Cloud-Streamed Gaming Technology and Customer Demand Analysis
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- Which companies and business models will drive the most revenue through 2023?
- How does the rise of the free-to-play business model impact the market?
- Which platforms are growing the fastest from an installed base, gamer, and revenue perspective?
- Are esports-oriented and online multiplayer games more generally changing how games are made, marketed, and monetized?
- Which PC and console OEMs are leading the market from the vantage point of regular gaming use? Why?
- How will next-generation console hardware affect the market and drive additional revenue streams?
- What's the opportunity for VR and AR platforms and games and related entertainment software through 2023?
- Is Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Tencent, Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Valve, Facebook, or some other company best positioned for revenue growth?
- Which publishers are positioned to outperform 2019, and which of franchises are most likely to top the sales charts?
- What's the long-term impact of cloud-streamed gaming and the related push into subscription-oriented business models?
AT&T Inc., Activision Blizzard, Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Akamai Technologies, Inc., Alienware Corp., Amazon Web Services Inc., App Annie Inc., AppLovin Corporation, Apple Inc., BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., Bungie LLC, Capcom Co. Ltd., Dell Inc., Dolby Laboratories Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., Epic Games, Inc., Facebook, Inc., Focus Home Interactive SA, GameStop Corp., Gameloft SE, Glu Mobile Inc., Google Inc., HP Inc., HTC Corporation, Harmonix Corp., IBM, Infinity Ward, Inc., Intel Corporation, Konami Corp., Lenovo Group Limited, Logitech International SA, Microsoft Corporation, NCsoft Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, NetEase.com, Inc., Nexon Co. Ltd., Niantic Inc., Nintendo Co., Ltd., PUBG Corp., Plantronics Inc., Qualcomm Inc., Razer Inc., Riot Games Inc., Roblox Corporation, Samsung, Seagate Technology LLC, Sega Sammy Holdings Inc., Sony Corporation, Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd., Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., Tencent Holdings Limited, The Codemasters Software Company Ltd., Toshiba Corporation, Turtle Beach Corp., Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., Unity Technologies, Inc., Valve Corp., Verizon Communications, Inc., Voodoo Productions, S.L., Wargaming Group Ltd., Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., Zynga, Inc., mixi, Inc.