IDC's Mobile Phones service provides a comprehensive, global analysis of the key technologies and market trends relating to both consumer and commercial mobile devices. The service addresses key mobile technologies, from personal, local, and wide area wireless connectivity and alternative input solutions to mobile device operating systems and browsers, user interfaces, and location-based services and technologies. The service also provides detailed global and regional forecasts for mobile phones and smartphones. Close attention is given to leading vendors as well as their strategies and their ability to execute on those strategies. The service is designed to help device manufacturers, software developers, mobile operators, and component suppliers navigate the evolving market for mobile devices through actionable intelligence.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Smartphone and feature phone technology analysis
- Wireless access standards including 5G
- Evolution of wireless technology and intellectual property
- Mobile device operating systems and browsers
- User interface technologies, including touchscreen, speech, and gestures
- Nascent technologies and services, including new display technologies
- Battery and charging technologies
- The market for used and refurbished mobile phones
- OEM and mobile operator relationships
- Mobile phone distribution channel
- Feature set analysis
- Worldwide Smartphone Forecast and Analysis
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Forecasts and Analyses
- Worldwide Mobile Operating Systems Forecasts and Analyses
- New Materials and Form Factors
- OEM and Mobile Operator Challenges
- Impact of Emerging Markets on Device Use and Design
- Price Band Analysis
- Survey: Consumer and Commercial Smartphone Trends
- Used and Refurbished Mobile Phone Forecast and Analysis
- Wireless Network Standards
- Imaging Technologies
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the strategies being adopted by device vendors to differentiate themselves?
- What comes after 5G?
- How will the refurbished mobile phone market impact the sale of new devices?
- What does the growing salience of emerging markets mean for established device vendors and their smaller rivals?
- How does device technology evolve beyond the current form factors?
- When will a new battery technology emerge?
ARM Limited, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Analog Devices, Inc., Apple Inc., Avago Technologies Limited, Belkin International, Inc., Blackberry Ltd., Broadcom Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Google LLC, HTC Corporation, Haier Group, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Intel Corporation, KYOCERA Corporation, Kingston Technology Corporation, LG Electronics Inc., Lenovo Group Limited, Marvell Technology Group Ltd., Mavenir Systems, Inc., MediaTek Inc., Micromax Informatics Limited, Microsoft Corporation, Motorola Solutions, Inc., NEC Corporation, NXP Semiconductors N.V., Nokia Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Poly, Qualcomm Inc., SAGEM, SK hynix Inc., STMicroelectronics N.V., Samsung, SanDisk Corporation, Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, Spirent Communications plc, Symantec Corporation, Texas Instruments Incorporated, Toshiba Corporation, Xiaomi Inc., Yahoo! Inc., ZTE Corporation