Retailers, determined to disrupt and create sustainable competitive advantage, recognize that omni-channel digital transformation requires a holistic redesign of business strategy and leadership, business processes, human engagement, information monetization, and technology. The starting point is the adoption of a new retail omni-channel commerce platform that includes all the core capabilities to succeed in the next decade, enabling customer experience differentiation — seamless omni-channel commerce together with the required operational efficiencies for profitability and business model agility. Along a new artificial intelligence foundation, to execute the customer journey effectively and efficiently, retailers need a new unified and flexible customer experience architecture aimed at providing a seamless composition of customer services leveraging information, processes, and channels consistently. IDC's Worldwide Retail Customer Experience and Commerce Strategies advisory service examines best practices, trends, use cases, market forces and challenges, and underlying technologies that directly impact a retailer's ability to provide frictionless consumer stream-of-life experiences. The program tracks and analyzes the key trends of retail innovation, omni-channel commerce platform, ecommerce, mobile, Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence, store experience, and omni-channel customer-facing capabilities, among others.
The service collects relevant global market data through in-depth interviews and primary research with retail IT executives, store and line-of-business (LOB) executives, technology vendors, and consumers, complemented by secondary research from conferences, industry and technology associations, and third-party news sources. IDC Retail Insights' analysts develop unique and comprehensive analyses of this data that is focused on providing actionable recommendations to retailers and the technology vendors they work with.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- State and directions of retail innovation
- Retail omni-channel commerce platform for omni-channel profitability
- Customer experience personalization, 360-degree customer engagement and loyalty
- Artificial intelligence and other technologies to deliver the omni-channel customer experience
- Digital journey Mapping
- eCommerce platform trends and deployment strategies
- Digital merchandizing, marketing, advertising, and content optimization technology and strategies
- POS technology directions and investment trends
- Industry short lists and vendor assessments for key solution areas (e.g., omni-channel commerce platform, POS, ecommerce, and mobile)
- IoT commerce, blockchain, and industry collaborative platforms
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What is the state of innovation in the retail industry?
- What are the challenges that retailers are facing today to drive omni-channel digital transformation?
- What are the key factors for omni-channel profitability?
- How do retailers transform the IT organization to be more flexible and efficient?
- Why is the platform essential to address short-term omni-channel business requirements and enable innovation?
- What kind of approach should retailers adopt in terms of customer experience personalization?
- What are the fundamental changes needed to adapt retailers' capabilities to the third generation of ecommerce?
- How will the physical store be successful in a world of digital?
The Worldwide Retail Customer Experience and Commerce Strategies service is ideally suited to support the needs of retail and IT decision makers and executives responsible for supporting all aspects of the customer selling process. Retail IT and operations management and commerce technology suppliers will also benefit from this service.