IDC's Cloud Data Logistics and Protection service enables storage vendors and IT users to have a more comprehensive view of the evolving data trust, life-cycle management and sovereignty, and recovery/cyber-recovery markets. Integrating cloud technology with traditional hardware and software components, the service will include market forecasts and provide a combination of timely tactical market information and long-term strategic analysis and guidance.
Cloud Data Logistics and Protection
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Data logistics, including data management policy engines, data location, data classification, and metadata management
- Cloud-based data protection solutions, including backup as a service (BaaS) and disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS)
- Public, private, and hybrid cloud data protection technologies
- Disk-based data protection, replication, and recovery solutions packaged as software, appliance, or gateway system with a focus on technology evolution
- Purpose-built backup appliance market shares and forecast based on total terabytes shipped
- End-user adoption of different data protection and recovery/cyber-recovery technologies and solutions
- Cloud service providers delivering cloud-based data protection
- Data protection for nontraditional data types (e.g., MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Vendors delivering disk-based data protection and recovery solutions with focus on architecture based on use cases and applications
- Technologies and processes, including backup, snapshots, replication, continuous data protection, and data deduplication
- Impact of purpose-built backup appliances (PBBAs) and hyperconverged systems on overall market growth and customer adoption
- Implications of copy data management and impact on data availability, capacity management, cost, governance, and security
- The evolutionary impact of containerization on data protection schemes
- Implications of flash technology for data protection
- Data protection best practice guidelines and adoption
- Market trends and outlook on tape systems and libraries
- Market Analysis and Sizing of Backup as a Service and Disaster Recovery as a Service
- Core, Edge, and Cloud Technologies for Protection and Recovery
- Adoption Patterns and Role of PBBAs in Customer Environments
- End-User Needs, Requirements, Priorities, and Maturity Models
- DataOps Infrastructure Requirements and Implementation
- Containerized Application Data Protection
- Data Protection and Recovery Software Market Size, Shares, and Forecasts
- Continuous Data Protection and Availability
- Virtual Backup Appliance Solutions
- Intersection of Data Protection Software and Management with Cloud Services
- Market Analysis, Sizing, and Vendor Shares of Tape Libraries and Systems
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the market opportunity of cloud-based data protection in private cloud, hybrid cloud, and multicloud environments?
- What are the opportunities for DataOps, and how can they be achieved?
- What are the differences between disaster recovery and cyber-recovery?
- What are the primary applications/workloads that will benefit the most with the increased use of cloud-based data protection?
- What impact will the increased use of cloud technologies and hyperconverged systems have on the continued use of traditional
- backup software, PBBAs, and on-premises backup infrastructure?
- How does the ecosystem of data protection products integrate with server and storage virtualization?
- How does cloud-based data protection enable greater information access regardless of operational failures or disasters?
- Which cloud-based technologies are most commonly used today, and what are the trends?
Acronis International GmbH, Amazon Web Services Inc., Aparavi Software Corp., Arcserve LLC, Barracuda Networks, Inc., Carbonite, Inc., Cohesity Inc., Commvault Systems, Inc., Datrium, Inc., Dell Technologies Inc., Druva Inc., ExaGrid Systems, Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi Vantara LLC, IBM, Microsoft Corporation, NetApp, Inc., Oracle Corporation, Quantum Corporation, Rubrik Inc., Seagate Technology LLC, Veeam Software AG, Veritas AG, Zerto Ltd.
Meet the Experts
Senior Research Analyst, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies
Research Vice President, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group