IDC's Cloud Data Management and Protection service enables storage vendors and IT users to have a more comprehensive view of the evolving data protection, availability, and recovery market. Integrating cloud technology with traditional hardware and software components, the report series will include market forecasts and provide a combination of timely tactical market information and long-term strategic analysis.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Cloud-based solutions, including backup as a service (BaaS) and disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS)
- Public, private, and hybrid cloud data protection technologies
- Disk-based data protection and recovery solutions packaged as software, appliance, or gateway system with a focus on technology evolution
- Market forecast based on total terabytes shipped and revenue for disk-based data protection and recovery (No vendor shares will be published.)
- End-user adoption of different data protection and recovery technologies and solutions
- Cloud service providers delivering cloud-based data protection
- Data protection for nontraditional data types (e.g., Mongo DB, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Vendors delivering disk-based data protection and recovery solutions with focus on architecture based on use cases and applications
- Technologies and processes, including backup, snapshots, replication, continuous data protection, and data deduplication
- Impact of purpose-built backup appliances (PBBAs) and hyperconverged systems on overall market growth and customer adoption
- Implications of copy data management and impact on data availability, capacity management, cost, governance, and security
- The evolutionary impact of virtual infrastructure and object storage on data protection schemes
- Implications of flash technology for data protection
- Data protection best practice guidelines and adoption
- Market Analysis, Sizing, and Vendor Shares of Backup as a Service and Disaster Recovery as a Service
- Use of Disk-Based Technologies for Protection and Recovery
- Adoption Patterns and Role of PBBAs in Customer Environments
- End-User Needs and Requirements
- Data Protection and Recovery Software Market Size, Shares, and Forecasts
- Disk-Based Data Protection Market Size and Forecast
- Virtual Backup Appliance Solutions
- Intersection of Data Protection Software and Management with Cloud Services
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the market opportunity of cloud-based data protection?
- What are the primary applications/workloads that will benefit the most with the increased use of cloud-based data protection?
- What impact will the increased use of cloud technologies and hyperconverged systems have on the continued use of traditional backup software, PBBAs, and on-premise backup infrastructure?
- How does the ecosystem of data protection products integrate with server and storage virtualization?
- How does cloud-based data protection enable greater information access regardless of operational failures or disasters?
- Which cloud-based technologies are most commonly used today, and what are the trends?
Arkeia Software Inc.,
Barracuda Networks, Inc.,
CommVault Systems, Inc.,
ExaGrid Systems, Inc.,
Hewlett Packard Enterprise,
Reduxio Systems Inc.,
Text & Rubrik City Aktiebolag,
Veeam Software AG,