IDC's Small and Medium Business Markets program provides an overview of key IT trends affecting small and midsize businesses (SMBs) in the United States, with additional detail on worldwide SMB activities. The program's survey work and forecasts provide detail on the acquisition and use of key technology categories, including PCs, advanced software applications, IT services, and unified communications. The Small and Medium Business Markets program includes one of the four optional modules: SMB Markets: Mobility Strategies and Application Development; SMB Markets: Cloud Adoption — Applications, Analytics, and Digital Transformation (DX); SMB Markets: Infrastructure Innovation — Virtualization and DX; and SMB Global Overview.
Small and Medium Business Markets
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Desktop PC, notebook PC, smartphone, and tablet ownership and purchase plans
- U.S. SMB IT spending forecast by key technology categories and company size
- IT services use by category: Networking, infrastructure, applications, and business process outsourcing
- Key software applications including business intelligence (Big Data), enterprise resource planning (ERP), and customer relationship management (CRM) on-premise versus cloud
- Online promotion and ecommerce, including mobile optimization
- Unified communications and advanced telecom capabilities
- SMB current/planned use of remote/hosted resources
- U.S. SMB vertical market profile and technology use
- Printers and MFPs by technology — laser versus inkjet
- Critical concerns and key SMB demographics
- Purchase process and go-to-market details — channel preferences and information sources
- U.S. SMB IT Spending Forecasts, 2018-2022
- U.S. Vertical Market Profiles — Key Technology Use and Plans
- U.S. SMB TLD Home Page and eCommerce Profile
- Changing Channel Preferences for IT Solutions — The Growing Importance of Online Sourcing
- SMB Use of Different IT Services and IT Support Solutions
- SMB Information Sources and the Changing Role of Social Media
- How SMBs Get the Word Out — Promotional Resources Used
- U.S. and Worldwide Mobile Worker Forecast
- Changing U.S. Remote Worker Support Trends and BYOD
- Business Priorities and Technology Spending Priorities
- Cluster Analysis: Opportunities by U.S. SMB Attitude Segments
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How are changing SMB technology and business priorities driving investments in cloud, mobility, and social resources?
- How are MSPs, CSPs, and service providers changing SMB technology sourcing preferences?
- What social media are the most effective SMB info sources?
- How will SMB use of hosted VoIP and alternative communications technology vary by company size and industry?
- How are SMBs relying on different support solutions, including full-time IT staff, to manage their diverse IT environments?
- How are SMB technology purchase decisions shifting from IT departments to LOB management?
- How are changing technology attitudes and the growing presence of millennials in senior management associated with different SMB technology acquisition and use?
Advanced business resources: ERP, CRM, and sales force automation (SFA); notebook PCs, smartphones, and tablets as part of mobile worker enablement; desktop PC and workstation ownership and purchase plans; and critical current and planned internet/online promotion resources.