IDC's Internet of Things: Consumer service provides market intelligence on the evolving ecosystem of connected consumer and smart home applications and devices as well as the emerging smart assistant platform category. This research program delivers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the enabling technologies, protocols, devices, services, platforms, and vendors that compete in the consumer IoT market. It investigates demand-side perspectives on consumer attitudes toward and usage of internet-enabled products and services – both within and outside of home settings – and provides insight into vendor strategies, market positioning, and future developments.
Internet of Things: Consumer
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Semiannual documents on the adoption of internet-enabled consumer devices and services across a broad range of categories
- Market sizing of the smart home, including shipments and value for the United States and worldwide
- Consumer IoT use cases such as home monitoring, security, automation, and control as well as networked entertainment in the home, personal health and wellness, transportation, and connected leisure, retail, and hospitality experiences
- Developments of consumer IoT technology and services, including smart assistants, security, home automation protocols, and smart home networking and connectivity technologies
- Taxonomy of the consumer IoT ecosystem: Market organization, key segments, technologies, and applications
- Vendor strategies, partnerships, and channels to market
- Evolution of connectivity, standards, and issues with interoperability
- Worldwide and U.S. Forecasts on Smart Home Device Unit Shipments and Value, Including Networked Entertainment, Smart Speakers, Home Monitoring and Security, Lighting, Thermostats, and Appliances
- Annual Consumer IoT Survey Assessing Demand-Side Perspectives and Consumer Usage of Connected Devices and Applications
- Worldwide and U.S. Market Share Documents on Key Smart Home Segments, Including Smart Speakers and Video Entertainment Devices
- Taxonomy of the Consumer IoT Ecosystem
- Ongoing Analysis of Current Events and Changes in Market Dynamics
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How are consumer IoT devices, services, and applications being adopted by households across the globe?
- How will successful consumer IoT platforms and technologies develop?
- How do attitudes toward and the adoption of consumer IoT applications and technologies differ across geographies, age, gender, and income levels?
- What role will wireless and landline broadband service providers play in the connected home, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- How will the adoption of various devices impact consumer experiences and expectations of tomorrow?
- What role will service providers play in consumer IoT, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- What role will smart assistants play in advancing consumer IoT adoption?
- Who are the market leaders in each technology segment, and what are their strategies for success?
ADT Security Services, Inc., ASUSTeK Computer Inc., AT&T Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Analog Devices, Inc., Apple Inc., Arrayent Health, LLC, Belkin International, Inc., Bose Corporation, Broadcom Inc., Buffalo Inc., CenturyLink Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Comcast Corporation, Conexant Systems Inc., Cox Communications, Inc., D-Link Corporation, DIRECTV, DISH Network LLC, Dell Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, Ecobee Inc., Electrolux AB, Emerson Electric Co., Facebook, Inc., Fitbit Inc. / Fitbit, Inc., Flextronics International Limited, Garmin Ltd., General Electric Company, GoPro Inc., Google Inc., Haier Group, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Honeywell International Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, IFTTT Inc., IKEA GreenTech AB, Infineon Technologies AG, Insteon, Intel Corporation, JBL Co.,Ltd., Kwikset Corp., LG Corp., Logitech international S.A., Lutron Electronics Co. Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Motorola Solutions, Inc., NETGEAR, Inc., NXP Semiconductors N.V., Nest Labs, Inc., Netflix International B.V., Orange S.A., Panasonic Corporation, Pioneer Corp., Plantronics Inc., QUALCOMM Inc., Quantenna Communications Inc., Ring LLC, Robert Bosch GmbH, Royal Philips N.V., SAP SE, SK Telecom Co., Ltd., STMicroelectronics N.V., Samsung, Schlage, Schneider Electric, Sears Holdings Corporation, Sharp Corporation, Siemens AG, Silicon Image, Inc., Singapore Telecommunications Limited, Sonos Inc., Sony Corporation, Sprint Corporation, TP-Link Technologies Co. Ltd., Technicolor S.A., Telefonica S.A., Texas Instruments Incorporated, Time Warner Inc., Toshiba Corporation, Verizon Communications, Inc., Viv Labs, Inc., Vivint, Inc., Vizio Inc., Vodafone Group Plc, Whirlpool Corp., Yahoo! Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, LLC, ZigBee Alliance