IDC's Smart Home and Office Devices service provides market intelligence on the evolving ecosystems of connected devices in the home and at work. This research program delivers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the enabling technologies and vendors that compete in the smart home and smart office markets, including smart assistant platforms and services. It investigates demand-side perspectives on consumer and enterprise attitudes toward their usage of internet-enabled products and services in the home and workplace, and it provides insight into vendor strategies, market positioning, and future developments.
Smart Home and Office Devices
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Semiannual reports on the adoption of internet-enabled devices across a broad range of categories in both home and office settings
- Market sizing of the smart home and smart office, including device unit shipments and value for the United States and worldwide
- Smart home and smart office use cases, including networked entertainment, monitoring and security, smart lighting and thermostats, and workplace collaboration
- Developments of smart home and smart office technology and services, including smart assistants, security, home automation protocols, and smart networking and connectivity technologies
- Taxonomy of the smart home and smart office ecosystems: Market organization, key segments, technologies, and use cases
- Vendor strategies, partnerships, and channels to market
- Evolution of connectivity, standards, and issues with interoperability, privacy, and security
- Worldwide and U.S. Forecasts on Smart Home Device Unit Shipments and Value, Including Networked Entertainment, Smart Speakers, Home Monitoring and Security, Lighting, Thermostats, and Appliances
- Worldwide and U.S. Forecasts on Smart Office Device Unit Shipments and Value
- Annual U.S. Smart Home Survey Assessing Demand-Side Perspectives and Consumer Usage of Connected Devices and Apps
- Worldwide and U.S. Market Share Documents on Key Smart Home Segments
- Taxonomy of the Smart Home and Smart Office Ecosystems
- Ongoing Analysis of Current Events and Changes in Market Dynamics
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the leading adoption drivers, inhibitors, and pain points in the smart home and smart office markets?
- How are smart home and smart office devices, services, and applications being adopted across the globe?
- How will successful smart home and smart office platforms and technologies develop?
- How do attitudes toward and the adoption of smart home and smart office applications and technologies differ across geographies, age, gender, and income levels?
- What role will wireless and landline broadband service providers play in the connected home and office, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- How will the adoption of various devices impact consumer and enterprise experiences and expectations of tomorrow?
- What role will providers play in the smart home and smart office, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- What role will smart assistants play in advancing smart home and smart office adoption?
- Who are the market leaders in each technology segment, and what are their strategies for success?
ADT Security Services, Inc., ASUSTeK Computer Inc., AT&T Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Analog Devices, Inc., Apple Inc., Arrayent Health, LLC, Belkin International, Inc., Bose Corporation, Broadcom Inc., Buffalo Inc., CenturyLink Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., Comcast Corporation, Conexant Systems Inc., Cox Communications, Inc., D-Link Corporation, DIRECTV, DISH Network L.L.C., Dell Technologies Inc., Ecobee Inc., Electrolux AB, Emerson Electric Co., Fitbit Inc., Flextronics International Limited, Garmin Ltd., General Electric Company, GoPro Inc., Google LLC, Haier Group, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Honeywell International Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, IFTTT Inc., IKEA Group, Infineon Technologies AG, Insteon, Intel Corporation, JBL Co.,Ltd., Koninklijke Philips N.V., Kwikset Corp., LG Corp., Logitech International SA, Lutron Electronics Co. Inc., Meta Platforms Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Motorola Solutions, Inc., NETGEAR, Inc., NXP Semiconductors N.V., Nest Labs, Inc., Netflix International B.V., Orange S.A., Panasonic Corporation, Pioneer Corp., Poly, Qualcomm Inc., Quantenna Communications Inc., Ring LLC, Robert Bosch GmbH, SAP SE, SK Telecom Co., Ltd., STMicroelectronics N.V., Samsung, Schlage, Schneider Electric SE, Sears Holdings Corporation, Sharp Corporation, Siemens AG, Silicon Image, Inc., Singapore Telecommunications Limited, Sonos Inc., Sony Corporation, T-Mobile, T-Mobile, TP-Link Technologies Co. Ltd., Technicolor S.A., Telefonica S.A., Texas Instruments Incorporated, Time Warner Inc., Toshiba Corporation, Verizon Communications, Inc., Viv Labs, Inc., Vivint, Inc., Vizio Inc., Vodafone Group Plc, Whirlpool Corp., Yahoo! Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, LLC, ZigBee Alliance
Meet the Experts
Research Manager, Smart Home and Office Devices
Group Vice President, Device & Consumer Research