IDC's Smart Home and Office Devices service provides market intelligence on the evolving ecosystem of connected smart home and smart office devices, as well as the evolving smart assistant platform category. This research program delivers a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the enabling technologies and vendors that compete in the smart home and smart office markets. It investigates demand-side perspectives on consumer and enterprise attitudes toward and usage of internet-enabled products and services in the home and workplace and provides insight into vendor strategies, market positioning, and future developments.
Smart Home and Office Devices
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Semiannual documents on the adoption of internet-enabled consumer devices across a broad range of categories in both home and office settings
- Market sizing of the smart home and smart office, including device unit shipments and value for the United States and worldwide
- Leading smart home and smart office use cases such as monitoring, security, automation, and control and networked video entertainment in the home and office
- Developments of smart home and smart office technology and services, including smart assistants, security, home automation protocols, and smart networking and connectivity technologies in the home and office
- Taxonomy of the smart home and smart office ecosystems: market organization, key segments, technologies, and use cases
- Vendor strategies, partnerships, and channels to market
- Evolution of connectivity, standards, and issues with interoperability
- Worldwide and U.S. Forecasts on Smart Home Device Unit Shipments and Value, Including Networked Entertainment, Smart Speakers, Home Monitoring and Security, Lighting, Thermostats, and Appliances
- Worldwide and U.S. Forecasts on Smart Office Device Unit Shipments and Value
- Annual U.S. Smart Home Survey Assessing Demand-Side Perspectives and Consumer Usage of Connected Devices and Apps
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the leading adoption drivers and inhibitors in the smart home and smart office markets?
- How are smart home and smart office devices, services, and applications being adopted across the globe?
- How will successful smart home and smart office platforms and technologies develop?
- How do attitudes toward and the adoption of smart home and smart office applications and technologies differ across geographies, age, gender, and income levels?
- What role will wireless and landline broadband service providers play in the connected home and office, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- How will the adoption of various devices impact consumer and enterprise experiences and expectations of tomorrow?
- What role will providers play in the smart home and smart office, and how will they drive the market for networked applications?
- What role will smart assistants play in advancing smart home and smart office adoption?
- Who are the market leaders in each technology segment, and what are their strategies for success?