IDC's Advanced Technology for Intelligent Connected Systems analyzes the networking and communications infrastructure of public/private cloud datacenter operators, telecommunications service providers, and the enterprise IT environment. The massive increase in IP data traffic over the next several years is driving significant network architectural shifts to enable scalability, flexibility, and security, which will impact the value chain of communications technologies. Developments and adoption trends of open source technologies in public, private, and hybrid cloud environments; software-defined networking (SDN); network function virtualization (NFV); CPU virtualization technologies such as containers; and the rapid adoption of cloud services (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS) are impacting the evolution of network architecture. This CIS will cover analysis of technology trends, workloads, products, vendors, supply chain, and end-user adoption strategies in enterprise IT and datacenters of web, cloud, and telecommunications service providers.
Advanced Technology for Intelligent Connected Systems
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Software-defined networking and the evolution of network architecture
- Network disaggregation in public, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructure
- Merchant silicon-based ODM-direct white-box switching
- Third-party network operating systems
- CPU virtualization impact on network infrastructure — VMs, containers, microservices, and east–west traffic
- Intelligent NICs (iNICs) for packet processing and offloading the host CPU
- Ethernet switching in datacenters — 25/50Gbps Ethernet interfaces for top-of-rack switching and P4 programmable switching
- Carrier (service provider) strategies and initiatives for 5G and telco cloud transformation
- Open source frameworks and projects such as Linux Foundation projects (CORD, ONAP, OPNFV, ODL, ONOS, MEC, CNCF, and so forth) and OCP Telecom Infra Project (TIP)
- Advanced Technologies: Networking and Communications Infrastructure
- Worldwide Communications Processor Market Forecast, 2018–2022
- Worldwide Analysis Perspective: Advanced Technologies, 2018
- Advanced Technologies: Mobile Infrastructure and Connectivity
- Intelligent NICs in Cloud and Mobile Infrastructure
- Worldwide Enabling Technologies and Semiconductors 2019 Top 10 Predictions
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How is adoption of software-defined networking and network function virtualization impacting the communications infrastructure market and supply chain?
- What opportunities does adoption of SDN and NFV present for hardware and software vendors, systems integrators, and engineering services providers?
- How are open source technology developments, frameworks, and projects impacting the evolution of communications infrastructure?
- What role will SDN and NFV play in 5G networks?
- How relevant are intelligent NICs in the communications infrastructure? Are iNICs strategically important for public cloud service providers and other web-based ecommerce players?
ARM Limited, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Aricent Group, Barefoot Networks, Inc., Broadcom Inc., Cavium, Inc., Centec Networks (Su Zhou) Co., Ltd., Innovium, Inc., Intel Corporation, Marvell Technology Group Ltd., Mellanox Technologies, Ltd., NXP Semiconductors N.V., Nephos Inc., Netronome Systems, Inc., QUALCOMM Inc.