The Global DataSphere quantifies and analyzes the amount of data created, captured, and replicated in any given year across the world. It also looks at how much of that data is stored across various storage media (HDD, SSD, NVM-NAND, NVM-other, optical, and tape) in the Global StorageSphere.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
This body of research will measure and forecast the amount of new data created and stored across the globe annually. The research will segment data creation across a number of metrics, including the location of data creation, the type of device creating and/or storing data, cloud and noncloud, data type, data creator and/or custodian, and structured versus unstructured. Further, this service will track the installed base of storage by six media types (HDD, SSD, NVM-NAND, NVM-other, optical, and tape) and how much of the installed base of storage is being utilized to store data.
- Worldwide Global DataSphere Forecast
- Worldwide Global StorageSphere Forecast
- Worldwide IoT Device and Data Forecast
- Structured Versus Unstructured Data Forecast
- Data Security in the Global DataSphere Characterizing the World of Compute
- Deep Dive Investigations of Dynamics Impacting the Global DataSphere and/or StorageSphere
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How much data will be created in the world over the next five years?
- How much of the data that is created will be stored, and what type of storage media (HDD, SSD, NVM-NAND, NVM-other, optical, and/or tape) will be used?
- What type of data is growing the fastest/slowest?
- How much data and what type of data requires security?
- What percentage of data that is created and stored is structured versus unstructured?
Meet the Experts
Sr. Vice President, Global Datasphere, IoT, Mobility, Security, Consumer, Semiconductors, Telecom, Client Computing and Imaging/Print/Document Solutions
Research Vice President, Global Datasphere