The events of 2020 have led to a dramatic worldwide increase of ecommerce sales that have settled in a range of 16–20% over total retail sales. eCommerce YoY (2021 versus 2020) revenue growth spans from 20% in fashion to more than 60% in food and grocery. At the same time, CPG and brands companies are investing considerable resources in executing new direct-to-consumer (D2C) strategies. This is the next normal of the retail and consumer industry, and it is here to stay. IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail eCommerce and Direct-to-Consumer Strategies aims to cover how these new market dynamics drive ecommerce innovation — within the broader context of retail commerce platforms implementation. In particular, the research program analyzes topics such as the merging of ecommerce and store technologies (e.g., POS), the impact of new business use cases (e.g., voice commerce, visual commerce, and IoT commerce), the integration with the ecosystem of online marketplaces, and the adoption of new ecommerce operational models. This service supports retail business, digital, and technology executives in making better strategic decisions to define and execute retail ecommerce strategies and road maps at speed, deliver new business models, and identify the required technology changes.
IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail eCommerce and Direct-to-Consumer Strategies
This advisory service develops unique analysis and comprehensive data through IDC Retail Insights' proprietary research projects, along with ongoing communications with industry experts, retail CIOs, line-of-business executives, and ICT product and service vendors. To ensure relevance, our analysts work with subscribers to identify and prioritize specific topics to be covered in research reports. Our analysts are also available to provide personalized advice for retail executives and ICT vendors to help them make better-informed decisions.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Worldwide trends and challenges related to business processes and applications of retail ecommerce and D2C
- Maturity stages and benchmarks of retail ecommerce and D2C and their detailed characterization
- Disruptive technologies that will enable retail ecommerce and D2C in the short term and long term
- The integration of retail ecommerce operations with overall retail operations
- Cases of collaboration among consumer companies in the retail ecommerce and D2C spaces
Key Questions Answered
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What are the key ecommerce capabilities that retailers need to implement in the short term? And in the long term?
- What are the best practices to merge ecommerce capabilities and store systems capabilities?
- What are the new key retail business use cases to innovate ecommerce?
- What are the best practices to build a proprietary marketplace in retail? And how can retailers optimally integrate their ecommerce systems to third-party marketplaces?
- What are the new ecommerce operational models that retailers should implement? And how should these new models be merged with retailers' overall operational models?
Who Should Subscribe
The IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail eCommerce and Direct-to-Consumer Strategies service is ideally suited to support the needs of retail business and IT decision makers and executives (e.g., head of innovation, head of strategy, CDO, CTO, CIO, and VP of omni-channel) responsible for running all aspects of the companywide retail ecommerce processes. Technology vendors, consulting, and services companies will also benefit from this research service as it will provide them with perspectives on retailers' challenges and directions in planning and executing ecommerce strategies.