IDC's Modern and Edge Application Development and Developer Trends service provides deep insights into developer attitudes and preferences for software development tools, languages, programming models, deployment infrastructures, and development methodologies, with a focus on products and technologies that enable digital transformation and a movement to 3rd Platform technologies. Coverage includes quantitative sizing of developer populations by attributes such as geography, language, framework, emerging technologies (e.g., AI/ML, IoT, blockchain), deployment infrastructure and developer type (e.g., full-time, part-time, low-code, no-code, application developer, infrastructure developer). The program also features qualitative insight on development trends such as the adoption of low-code and no-code development platforms, the integration of AI/ML into the development experience, enterprise investments in legacy application modernization, the importance of rich user experience, and trends related to the use of open source and code reusability. One of the central components of this program involves a quantitative and qualitative examination of how the adoption of 3rd Platform technologies are transforming the development experience.
Modern and Edge Application Development and Developer Trends
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Developer demographics, population, and personas
- Programming languages and IDE choices; user experience
- Low-code, no-code, and model-driven application platforms
- Developer toolchains and workflows; product preferences
- Developer product positioning, marketing, business models, monetization, and pricing models
- Developer preferences for cloud and noncloud environments
- Developer consumption of AI/ML, IoT, and other emerging services
- Worldwide Developer Population Sizing and Forecasts by Geography
- Market Analysis Perspective: Worldwide Developer Demographics
- High-Productivity Application Development Platforms
- Census of Part-Time Developers and Non-Compensated Developers
- Development Languages, Environments, and Tools Market Shares and Forecast
- Software Construction Components Market Shares and Forecast
- Multiple Developer View Surveys
- Cloud-Native Development; Influence of IoT on Software Development
- Influence of AI/ML on Software Development
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the main developer ecosystems, and how does ecosystem affiliation affect technology choices?
- How are developer ecosystems evolving? How does a company build or participate effectively in an ecosystem?
- What languages, tools, and methodologies are developers adopting to increase their productivity?
- What are the architectural shifts taking place in app platforms, and how will they affect software development practices?
- How will legacy applications be evolved or migrated to accommodate new developer trends?
- What will next-generation developer tools and application deployments look like based on current developer trends?
Adobe Systems Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Appian Corp., Apple Inc., Atlassian Pty Ltd., Broadcom Inc., Cloud Foundry Inc., Developer Express Inc., Facebook, Inc., GitHub Inc., GitLab B.V., Google LLC, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Infragistics, Inc., Intel Corporation, JetBrains s.r.o., Mendix Inc., Micro Focus International plc, Microsoft Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Oracle Corporation, OutSystems S.A., Pegasystems Inc., Preemptive Solutions LLC, Progress Software Corporation, QuickBase Inc., Red Hat, Inc., SAP SE, SUSE Linux GmbH, Salesforce.com, Inc., ServiceNow, Inc., Tencent Holdings Limited, Twilio, Inc., Twitter, Inc., VMware, Inc., Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd.