IDC's Developer Demographics, Communities and Skills service provides deep insights into developer attitudes and preferences for software development tools, languages, and programming models, with a focus on products and technologies that enable digital transformation and a movement to 3rd Platform technologies. This service estimates developer populations across geographies, verticals, technologies and, where possible, gender and education levels. In addition to programming languages and software development tools, this service covers the impact on developers by enabling technologies behind cloud-native applications such as containers, orchestration engines, API design tools, and IoT developer offerings. This research explores paradigm shifts in application platforms and architectures such as the move to microservices and low-code model development platforms and the growth of artificial intelligence services by developers. It also provides market shares and forecasts for software development tools markets.
Developer Demographics, Communities and Skills
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Developer demographics, population, and product preferences
- Development software as a predictor of future deployment trends
- Cloud and server application platforms and environments
- Web application development tools and practices
- Programming languages and IDE choices
- Low-code and model-driven application platforms
- Developer toolchains and workflows
- Developer product positioning, marketing, business models, monetization, and pricing models
- Evolution of application architectures (e.g., client/server, SOA, distributed systems, and microservices)
- Worldwide Developer Population Sizing and Forecasts Across Geographies
- U.S. Developer Sizing Across States, Gender, and Vertical Industries
- Market Analysis Perspective: Worldwide Developer Demographics
- Development Using Function as a Service Platforms
- Development Languages, Environments, and Tools Market Shares and Forecast
- Software Construction Components Market Shares and Forecast
- Multiple Developer View Survey Results Documents
- Container Development Options
- Software Development for GPUs
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the main developer ecosystems, and how does ecosystem affiliation affect technology choices?
- How are developer ecosystem evolving? How does a company build or participate effectively in an ecosystem?
- What developer platforms will drive the evolution of cloud application platforms?
- How will cross-platform application development evolve, and how will the web platform compete with native mobile platforms?
- What languages, tools, and methodologies are developers adopting to increase their productivity?
- What are the new software monetization techniques and strategies, and what are the new business models for developer services?
- What are the architectural shifts taking place in application platforms, and how will they affect software development practices?
- How will legacy applications be evolved or migrated to accommodate new developer trends?
- What will next-generation developer tools and application deployments look like based on current developer trends?
AT&T Inc., Adobe Systems Inc., Altova GmbH, Amazon.com Inc., Appcelerator, Inc., Appery LLC, Appian Corp., Apple Inc., Atlassian Pty Ltd., Azul Systems Inc., CA Technologies, Inc., CenturyLink, Inc., Citrix Systems, Inc., Developer Express Inc., Eclipse Foundation, Inc., Embarcadero Technologies, Inc., Ericsson, Facebook, Inc., Fair Isaac Corporation, Four Js, Genuitec, GitHub Inc., Google Inc., GrapeCity inc., Green Hills Software, Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Infragistics, Inc., Intel Corporation, InterSystems Corporation, Intuit Inc., JetBrains s.r.o., Kony, Inc., Magic Software Enterprises Inc., Micro Focus International plc, Microsoft Corporation, Mozilla Foundation, NVIDIA Corporation, No Magic, Inc., OpenText Corporation, Oracle Corporation, PTC, Inc., Pegasystems Inc., Pivotal Software, Inc., Preemptive Solutions LLC, Progress Software Corporation, QUALCOMM Inc., Red Hat, Inc., Rogue Wave Software, Inc., SAP SE, SAS Institute Inc., Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, Sencha Inc., ServiceNow, Inc., Servoy BV, Software AG, Sparx Systems, Syncfusion, TIBCO Software Inc., The Linux Foundation, Uniface Corporation, Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd., raw engineering, inc.