IDC's Developer Demographics and Development Trends service provides deep insights into developer attitudes and preferences for software development tools, languages, programming models, deployment infrastructures, and development methodologies, with a focus on products and technologies that enable digital transformation and a movement to 3rd Platform technologies. This service models developer populations across geographies, verticals, technologies and, where possible, gender and education levels. In addition to covering programming languages and software development tools, this service covers the impact on developers by enabling technologies behind cloud-native applications such as microservices, containers, orchestration engines, API design tools, and IoT developer offerings. This research explores paradigm shifts in application platforms and architectures such as the use of microservices, low-code, no-code, and model-driven development platforms and increased adoption of artificial intelligence and IoT services by developers, examining the changing nature of software development.
Developer Demographics and Development Trends
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Developer demographics, population, personas
- Development software as a predictor of future deployment trends
- Cloud and server application platforms and environments
- Web application development tools and practices
- Programming languages and IDE choices; user experience
- Low-code, no-code, and model-driven application platforms
- Developer toolchains and workflows; product preferences
- Developer product positioning, marketing, business models, monetization, and pricing models
- Evolution of application architectures
- Developer preferences for cloud and noncloud environments
- Developer consumption of AI/ML, IoT, and other emerging services
- Worldwide Developer Population Sizing and Forecasts by Geography
- Market Analysis Perspective: Worldwide Developer Demographics
- High Productivity Application Development Platforms
- Census of Part-Time Developers and Non-Compensated Developers
- Development Languages, Environments, and Tools Shares and Forecast
- Software Construction Components Market Shares and Forecast
- Multiple Developer View Surveys
- Cloud-Native Development; Influence of IoT on Software Development
- Influence of AI/ML on Software Development
- Influence of IoT on Software Development
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the main developer ecosystems, and how does ecosystem affiliation affect technology choices?
- How are developer ecosystems evolving? How does a company build or participate effectively in an ecosystem?
- How will cross-platform application development evolve, and how will the web platform compete with native mobile platforms?
- What languages, tools, and methodologies are developers adopting to increase their productivity?
- What are the new software monetization techniques/strategies, and what are the new business models for developer services?
- What are the architectural shifts taking place in app platforms, and how will they affect software development practices?
- How will legacy applications be evolved or migrated to accommodate new developer trends?
- What will next-generation developer tools and application deployments look like based on current developer trends?
ARM Limited, AT&T Inc., Adobe Systems Inc., Altova GmbH, Amazon.com Inc., Appcelerator, Inc., Appian Corp., Apple Inc., Atlassian Pty Ltd., Azul Systems Inc., CA Technologies, Inc., CenturyLink Inc., Citrix Systems, Inc., Cloud Foundry Inc., Developer Express Inc., Eclipse Foundation, Inc., Embarcadero Technologies, Inc., Ericsson, Facebook, Inc., Fair Isaac Corporation, Four Js, Genuitec, Globo plc, Google LLC, GrapeCity Inc., Green Hills Software, Inc., HP Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Infragistics, Inc., Intel Corporation, Intuit Inc., JetBrains s.r.o., Kony, Inc., Magic Software Enterprises Inc., Micro Focus International plc, Microsoft Corporation, Mozilla Foundation, NVIDIA Corporation, No Magic, Inc., OpenText Corporation, Oracle Corporation, PTC, Inc., Pegasystems Inc., Planview, Inc., Preemptive Solutions LLC, Progress Software Corporation, Qualcomm Inc., Red Hat, Inc., Rogue Wave Software, Inc., SAP SE, SAS Institute Inc., Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, Sencha Inc., Servoy BV, Software AG, Sparx Systems, Syncfusion Inc., TIBCO Software Inc., Uniface Corporation, Xamarin, Zend Technologies Ltd.