IDC Future of Work
About IDC Future of Work
As organizations prepare themselves for the digital era and accelerate their digital transformation strategies, they are faced with unprecedented challenges across technology, talent management, and operations. IDC has created the Future of Work (FoW) framework defined as a fundamental change to the concept of work, which transforms worker behaviors and skills as well as organizational culture, supports a dynamic work environment not bounded by time of day or physical space, empowers teams and a diverse workforce, and fosters human-machine collaboration.
The Future of Work is an enterprise-wide imperative that applies 3rd Platform technologies and innovation accelerators (IAs), such as augmented/virtual reality (AR/VR), artificial intelligence (AI), and Internet of Things (IoT) to transform the concept of work and how it is done. It requires CXO leadership and intimate collaboration between IT, line of business, HR, and other departments and results in increased productivity, worker engagement, and competitive differentiation. Future of Work initiatives must be an integral component of an organization's overall digital transformation strategy.
The Future of Work takes a holistic integrated approach, encompassing three interrelated and interconnected pillars, workforce, workspace and workculture depicted below.
Three Dimensions of the Future of Work
Benefits to Technology Buyers
IDC’s Future of Work research and capabilities help technology buyers and end-user enterprises address critical areas for future-proofing:
- Analysis of company initiatives across workspace, workforce, and work culture
- How to sustain competitive advantage if every other organization digitally transforms
- Managing organizational and operational transition from automated processes to data-driven experiences
- Strategies to attract and retain the best talent when most organizations are struggling to fill digital skill gaps
- Approach to managing digital workers with the proliferation of new-age technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Benefits to Technology Suppliers
For technology vendors and suppliers, IDC’s Future of Work research and capabilities address the following key questions:
- What technologies are enabling FoW?
- What are IT buyers' priorities, challenges, and spending plans for FoW implementation in India, and how can vendors address them?
- What are the emerging use cases of FoW, and how can tech suppliers address/support them?
- How can technology suppliers better engage customers in meaningful, value-adding conversations regarding Future of Work?
IDC Future of Work Reports
- Learn More
South Africa's Minister of Communications & Digital Technology to Present Keynote at IDC's Upcoming Virtual CIO SummitLearn More
Worldwide Enterprise-Class WLAN Market Shares, 2020: Enterprise Market Growth Remains ResilientLearn More
Explore the Resiliency Spectrum at IDC LIVE as Enterprises Harness the Ability to Capitalize on UncertaintiesLearn More
Worldwide Enterprise Private Cellular/5G Network Consulting and Integration Services Forecast, 2021–2025Learn More
IDC Report Reveals the New Role of Chief Human Resource Officer (CHROs) in Asia/Pacific* EnterprisesLearn More
Resiliency Re-confirmed: Recovery of Demand in the Second Half of 2020 Helped the Global Telecommunications Market Match the Prior Year's Revenue, According to IDCLearn More
- Learn More
- Learn More
IDC's Worldwide Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Spending Guide Taxonomy, 2021: Release V1, 2021Learn More
Meet the Experts
If you’d like to analyze your company’s readiness for Future of Work or are interested to know about IDC’s research, please provide your details below
Connect with us